Is this a common issue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

539487_413214058738665_521727761_n.jpg

548101_413214098738661_2103917462_n.jpg

207875_413214122071992_1796194453_n.jpg

This one was interesting. I pulled the last 6 ounces of PR out of a total of 3 cans to get some blanks. This stuff looked kinda gnarly coming out of the cans and it didn't suspend the pigment right. I would have just scrapped it then, but my stepmom told me that when she was demoing at work she got complaints from ladies that most of the pens were too heavy to be comfortable, and since I was trying to cater to the market we needed some stock standard slimlines in some good colors. The question here: Is the last few ounces in a gallon usually pretty funky or did I just handle it improperly while working with it and it all settled into the bottom of the cans?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It looks to me from the pictures, that the red pigment? or was it mica? did not get mixed thoroughly enough and left specks of color. I have had this happen with pigments in the past but not micas.

Drstrangefart

It looks to me from the pictures, that the red pigment? or was it mica? did not get mixed thoroughly enough and left specks of color. I have had this happen with pigments in the past but not micas.

The red is a liquid pigment. It didn't disperse like it normally does. The Interference Blue mica powder didn't wanna disperse either. It STAYED clumped up until I got the resin heated really well and it thinned out a bit.

sbell111

From your post, you state that it was the last bit from three different cans. How old were the cans? How long had they sat with just a little resin left in them?

PenMan1

Allan:
Just glancing at the photos, this looks like incomplete mixing, or waiting just little bit too long before adding a color.

As others have said, there are many different things that could cause this, including old resin or catylist.

Drstrangefart

From your post, you state that it was the last bit from three different cans. How old were the cans? How long had they sat with just a little resin left in them?

The resin was roughly a month or so old. We had poured it from the 1 gallon can into smaller cans to help prevent it going everywhere wehn it was poured.

Drstrangefart

Allan:
Just glancing at the photos, this looks like incomplete mixing, or waiting just little bit too long before adding a color.

As others have said, there are many different things that could cause this, including old resin or catylist.

The cors didn't mix completely. I stirred it like crazy before and after heating it up to thin it out. I didn't add catalyst until it had been seriously thinned out and stirred way more than normal.

Top Bottom