Common advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bensoelberg

bensoelberg

One of the most common pieces of advice that I see on here to newbies is to keep their first pen. All the experienced turners say how great it is to be able to look back at the first one after a year or two and see the progress that you've made. So, why should you have all the fun? We've seen your good ones, we know what you're capable of, now why don't you show us how far you've come? If you've still got your first, I'm calling you out! Feel free to post them in this thread. Here's mine. It's a gold slimline made with Honduran rosewood (no burl) finished with a couple of coats of WOP. The fit looks better in the pictures than it is and it is definitely out of round.

Attachments

• first pen.JPG
    first pen.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 195
  • first pen2.JPG
    first pen2.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 147
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I'll bite. This was my first, made out of a piece of scrape wood a friend gave me after he had a deck made. He said it was call Brazilian Tiger Wood, but I don't think is was. Coarse it is a slimline kit.

Attachments

• 600.jpg
    600.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 133

turbowagon

Here's mine.... it's one of my favorite pens I've turned. A box elder burl satin nickel Euro with a CA/BLO finish:

boxelder_1.jpg

- Joe

kludge77

Joe--- That's an amazing first pen. Whoa.

My first were bad. Really bad. Wenge and Maple

100_2012.jpg

All the fitting just spin around becuase I didn't mill it all the way to tubes. Wife still has it in her reject cup.

Top Bottom