Commissioned sentimental pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mudder

These pens are for a guy that I work with. His great aunt planted this Ash tree 85 years ago. This tree had to be taken down last year and he brought me a piece of it to make 3 pens that he could give away to his great uncle, his father, and an aunt. When I heard ash I didn’t think the wood would look this nice. In all honesty the pictures do not do this wood justice. I had 2 “real time design changes†that happened during turning and I used padauk center bands because I wanted something a little different than a plain old slim line.

Thanks for looking.

200592611348_6.jpg

200592611412_9.jpg

200592611440_10.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

That's one thing I love about wood. It can always surprise you. Gorgeous use of some awesome grain. What is just behind the nib in the top two? I like it. I also like the use of padauk for a CB. I've been wanting to try that with pink ivory, or lignum vitae. You folks keep sparking my creativity here. Thanks. BTW, I like #3 best too.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />
What is just behind the nib in the top two?

Some folks call them "oops bands" but I prefer to call them "real time design changes". It is actually drop offs from a black crushed velvet cigar pen that I made last week but did not photograph yet.

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />
I also like the use of padauk for a CB.

I took a piece of advice from a turner who is more talented than I am and glued the centerband to the bottom blank. That way it does not move, crack, or get lost.

Thanks for all the kind replies, I will deliver these tomorrow and I hope they like them.

hobby_dale

Nice job Mudder, I hope they cherish them. Was it hard to decide who gets which one? Hate to think they might fight over them. [:)] Please let us know if they like them and how they were received.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom