A Commissioned GolfClub Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

Got a request from a customer a couple weeks back to make him a pen from a chrome plated steel golf club handle he had. Here is the result.

The club was tapered in "steps". The steps are more evident on the sections of club handle then they are on the pen. If you look closely you can see one under the clip and another just above the finger grip area.

I selected a section out of the middle of the club where the lower step just allowed the tube for the Executive to fit inside it. After trimming the section to length on my metal lathe I turned a thin bushing from a 30-06 cartridge section for the larger top step to fit between the tub and the top of the step. Then installed the tube/bushing inside the section and glued everything in place. It was actually easier to make then a typical wood blank pen.:wink:

This shows the club handle and the pen.
IMG_8915_4_6_Detail.jpg

A little closer view.
IMG_8909_8_10_Detail.jpg

The customer was extremely happy with it and indicated he might be ordering another or two.

C&C appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Is this considered thinking out of the bag rather than the box?? Nice looking pen, however the photo doesn't show the bend in the club that the tree made !!! Jim S

JD Combs Sr

Terrific Work, JD.
Extreemly well Exercuted.
You may have more requests once it is shown around.
Congratulations,
Brian.
Thanks Brian, I guess time will tell on any future requests

I like it JD! Nice job!
Well done.
Very neat idea and a nice looking pen.
Thanks Dale/John/Mike, always appreciate encouragement.

Is this considered thinking out of the bag rather than the box?? Nice looking pen, however the photo doesn't show the bend in the club that the tree made !!! Jim S
Thanks Jim, that was funny, in actuality the handle was as straight as an arrow, not even sure it was ever used, it didn't have a grip or a head on it and it didn't look like it had ever had them on it. I didn't ask the customer but he may have bought the handle just for this purpose.

Krankyankee

I have done several golf club pens,,but I only use the wooden heads...leave some of the shaft in the pen...comes out quite well...

Top Bottom