Comments please on a new pen turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gmreeves

gmreeves

These are a couple of my latest pens that I put on the Wall Street II kits that Woodcraft has on sale. Can you please tell me what you think about the colors combos of the woods and the kits? These are the first ones that I have turned with a light colored kit and they just don't look right to me. Thanks for the feedback.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jon-wx5nco

I'm not the right person to ask, as I personally don't care for the "satin" finish on the metal, but those pens look great to me. Looks like those can be good sellers!
What wood(s) were used? What is the finish on the wood?

gmreeves

Sorry about that and thanks for the replies. The wood on the left I beleive is diagonal cut Bolivian Rosewood and the pen on the right is diagonal cut Bocote with some sapwood. Both have 10 coats of thin CA for a finish. The gloss on the Bocote is kind of lost in the light box for some reason. I kind of feel the same way about the pen kit. I like the wood, but it just doesn't look right to me paired with that kit. Several people at work like it and several more don't. I know different people like different things and I'm trying to add a little variety to the pens that I have been turning.

randyrls

kind of feel the same way about the pen kit. I like the wood, but it just doesn't look right to me paired with that kit.

Greg; All is not lost! You can get another kit in gold, make a second blank, and then switch the blank and the fittings.

Pens can be easily disassembled with a transfer punch set.

Pull out the transmission, and then use a close fitting transfer punch to knock out the clip and finial.

I've done the same thing on many occasions.....:rolleyes:

TomS

Both pens look great. I agree that a little gold on the kit would help. Whenever you use a tent, the light on the pen will be diffused, causing a slight "softness" in the picture. Just like shooting outdoors when it is cloudy. A little more direct light will add a little more pop to the picture.
Tom

65GTMustang

New Pens

I think you did a fine job.
All turners have different ways to get the similar or same result.
I think your finish look very nice. I agree with most of the remarks prior on the satin finish. I use mostly Gold, Black TN, Platinum, Chrome and Sterling Silver. (The silver from Arizona Silhouette is a very nice pen)
The only suggestion I would give - Try it and if you like it great if not do what looks best to you. The pen barrels look like they are turn with the high point (thickest part of the pen) is in the center...Depending on the kit I always use the third method. Allowing the highest point to be above center on the clip end on the pen.
GREAT JOB
Have FUN

Rfturner

New Pens

There is always a trial and error. You did a great job on the finish it has a high quaility finish. It can be hard to capture all of it sometimes in photography. I think that the pens are subtle they are not as flashy as the gold or Titanium Nitride components but some people perfer that.

I have had customers that perferred the satin finish before better, they did not want an over the top flashy pen but one that was unique. The best way to test it is show people wherever you sell them and see their reactions have it grouped with other pens and see if they mention either pen specifically

gmreeves

Great feedback everybody! I noticed on the rosewood pen on the left that I left it fairly high in the middle of the blank and am going to sand it down and trim it up a little more. I didn't notice it while it was still on the lathe and was wondering if any of you would say anything about the profiles. I may go buy another kit with some gold in it to play around a little more. Heck, I'll just end up with a few more pens. I'm starting to have quite a stash of pens laying around. Pretty sad considering I rarely use one, being that I'm an IT guy that sits in front of a PC all day.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Just Remember its not what you like its what your customers like and will pay for. You can have your personal favorites, but unless your going to keep all the pens you make dont let you personal tastes keep you from making pens other people will like more than you.

PenMan1

Personally, I like them, just like they are but everybody is different. You should invest $10 in a set of Harbor Freight transfer punches. Since you have already turned the blanks, you can disassemble the pens, change the plating to gold, etc and use the satin components (we don't say "kits" here) on another blank.

Keep up the good work, your fit and finish looks excellent and your photo skills are better than mine.

JimB

When I turn the WS II I usually turn 4 or 5 at a time all in different woods. I also usally have several kits with different platings. I then hold each turned and finished barrel up to each of the platings to see what looks best. I mix and match and then assemble. It often happens that the final matching isn't what I thought it would be.

Top Bottom