College themed pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TexanTrail

TexanTrail

I was asked to make a couple of college themed pens for a friend's son and daughter-in-law. This is what I came up with. The 2 with decals came out of the Osage orange it's sitting on. The log is a pier from an old farm house shanty, maybe 60-80+ years old. C&c welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_8511.jpg
    IMG_8511.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 355
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Nice pens! I've been looking into decal pens, haven't made any yet but will be soon. I would also be interested in any tips, tricks, or pitfalls you have to share.

TexanTrail

Very nice looking pens David. I like the osage orange wood as it has nice color. Can you tell us how you did the decals. Thanks Darrell Eisner

Thanks Darrell. I got the decals from mudhole.com. First I turned the blanks down to size. Sanded down to 400 with regular sandpaper, then went to 3600 with micomesh. 5 coats of CA glue (first 2 I let dry naturally, other three used accelerator.) Let dry an hour or so. Applied the decal. Let dry for an hour or so.

Then I applied my next coat of CA while the lathe was spinning. FYI, don't do that because the ink smears. Pulled off stickers, let ca dry again, and resanded to make smooth. Applied a couple more coats of thin CA and let dry overnight.

Sanded back down to 3600 with MM then put on the extra stickers I had ordered ( just in case something went wrong). Let dry for a little while. Then I dripped 2 coats of thin CA over the sticker allowing time to dry between coats. I wiped off any large spots the gathered on the underside of the pen. Then I applied 5 coats of thin over the whole blank. Then 3 coats of medium glue. Sanded down and noticed the CA had cracked on the end of the blank. Sanded that out. Then I went back and applied about 10 coats of thin CA. Sanded smooth through 12000 MM. Then buffed with white diamond on Beale buffing system.

Top Bottom