A Collaboration Presentation Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lkorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkorn

A dear friend of mine and her Husband had plans to retire in Wales next year. They both found peace on an island with a lighthouse. Caldey Island Light in Wales U.K., was were they both wanted their ashes scattered when they passed. Unfortunately three and a half years ago Jeffrey died suddenly. After a normal day, he climbed into bed, said goodnight and died. Just like that, suddenly, swiftly and as best we know painlessly.

With my creative need to do something for her, and the artistic ability of Tom Mullane, who created boh the Claddagh and the lighthouse(working from an internet photo)then the Laser genius of Ken Nelson, I gave her this pen last Christmas. A full box of Kleenex later she was able to thank me.

PLATINUM BARON FP, Irish Bog Oak, CA finish.

200641143740_Lighthouse2IAP.jpg

200641143712_LighthouseIAP.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Johnathan

What a nice pen, I'm sure it has found a tender and special place within this family. Something to be passed down as a cherished heirloom should make you very pleased.

lkorn

Originally posted by Johnathan
<br />What a nice pen, I'm sure it has found a tender and special place within this family. Something to be passed down as a cherished heirloom should make you very pleased.
Unfortunatley, there is no more family for this pen to pass down to. The good part of this is that I will get it back if I outlive her[}:)]

Ron Mc

Larry,
Beautiful pen and a very thoughtful and loving gesture.
Don't take it back!! Let her take it with her.

Daniel

Larry,
We would all be so lucky to have a friend like you. Obviously much thought, time and effort went in to the making of this pen.
The loss of a loved one is often clumbsy for those of use that care for those left behind. you found an elegant way to express your love for your friend. a very dear friend obviously.
excellent job.
When I see a pen like this. one that it's intended function is so secondary. it causes me to really question our methods and processes. I look at your pen with such questions in my mind.
Just how reliable is the CA finish? are there better stabalizing methods? Just what Glue would I have chosen for this pen? and on and on. suddenly they are not such easy questions to answer. no longer is this just a hobby but I realize that sometimes what we all do here, what we say, and what we recommend to others really does matter. I've never sinced that more than while reading about and looking at your gift.

lkorn

Originally posted by Daniel
<br />When I see a pen like this. one that it's intended function is so secondary. it causes me to really question our methods and processes. I look at your pen with such questions in my mind.
Just how reliable is the CA finish? are there better stabalizing methods? Just what Glue would I have chosen for this pen? and on and on. suddenly they are not such easy questions to answer. no longer is this just a hobby but I realize that sometimes what we all do here, what we say, and what we recommend to others really does matter. I've never sinced that more than while reading about and looking at your gift.

Daniel,
For the record, I chose CA to stabilize because I needed to make the pen for Christmas. The difficulty in turning, caused me to send the remainder of my IBO out for stabilization. Pat also LIKED the CA finish on some of my others. I used slow-set two part epoxy to glue the tubes, because I have had the most success with it. The real difficulty was the easy part. How do I personnalize the pen? Like I said before, Tom Mullane, aka "Old Griz", did the art work, and Ken Nelson, "Kallenshaan Hardwoods", is the only one I trust to Laser anything more compliated than a single line name on a pen.

To every one else who commented, thank you for all the kind words. This was truley a labor of love, that couldn't have been accomplished with out the efforts of a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom