A Collaboration with my 6 year old son

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

Okay, so it was a proud time for daddy on this one. While my son still needs a couple more years before he can play with the power tools he's always asking to help so this seemed like the best way. He sat down at the kitchen table and started painting away and decorating the tubes the way he felt he would like to see the finished pen...fine by me:biggrin: After a little dry time and prep we cast the tubes in PR and spun away. He told me that he would like to sell it for a Million dollars so he can buy some more StarWars toys...:rolleyes: I told him "Buddy, that sound about right, but I bet you could get Two Million for it!" He's 6:laugh:

Enjoy

6208753305_18f6689edc_z.jpg

6209267856_521f0ee48d_z.jpg

As always, larger images can be seen on my Flickr site linked below. Thanks for looking...I'm so proud!

Last edited:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Okay, so it was a proud time for daddy on this one. While my son still needs a couple more years before he can play with the power tools he's always asking to help so this seemed like the best way. He sat down at the kitchen table and started painting away and decorating the tubes the way he felt he would like to see the finished pen...fine by me:biggrin: After a little dry time and prep we cast the tubes in PR and spun away. He told me that he would like to sell it for a Million dollars so he can buy some more StarWars toys...:rolleyes: I told him "Buddy, that sound about right, but I bet you could get Two Million for it!" He's 6:laugh:

Enjoy

As always, larger images can be seen on my Flickr site linked below. Thanks for looking...I'm so proud!
And so you should be!!

What would I have to do to get some of those blanks? Seriously!

ohiococonut

Daaaaayuuuumm :eek: A 6yr old did that?!

Can I borrow him for a while? I'll feed him real good and even buy him Star Wars toys.

I might have to see if my grandson wants to try his hand at it too. THAT is one pen I would not want to give up. It's just too cool! :biggrin:

t001xa22

Tim, I think you have the makings of a budding pen genius there. That is beautiful work. I wonder if Toni could use him in some of her design work? A seasoned caster would be hard-pressed to come up with something like that. Great job.

Justturnin

I think you would be in good judgment if you went ahead and pulled your little man out of school and had him paint blanks from now on instead.......That looks GREAT. Huge Kudos to him.

wiset1

I think you would be in good judgment if you went ahead and pulled your little man out of school and had him paint blanks from now on instead.......That looks GREAT. Huge Kudos to him.

Child labor and all....though about it :smile-big: Really though, I'm proud that we were able to do this together. When he gets a little older I'll let him use the lathe and tools to turn his own. For now I'll let him keep painting tubes.

whegge

Beautiful!

I think your son may have started something here. Never would have thought to paint a tube, cover it with something sure but just to paint!

Way to go Dad.

jbswearingen

Um, yeah, if you don't mind breaking some of those pesky child labor laws, I'd love to buy some of those tubes. Don't even need to cast them. Just wrap them in tissue and ship them this way.

That looks amazing.

Maybe you could let us in on types of markers, etc.? I have an 8 year old...

Dan26

Now that is amazing!!!! When is he holding his next class? I can't afford the pen, but maybe the tuition. It really is a great pen.

wiset1

Um, yeah, if you don't mind breaking some of those pesky child labor laws, I'd love to buy some of those tubes. Don't even need to cast them. Just wrap them in tissue and ship them this way.

That looks amazing.

Maybe you could let us in on types of markers, etc.? I have an 8 year old...

First of all, Thank you for ALL of the feedback. You've just made his night and he's very excited!

Now to answer the question...No markers were used on the tube. I put about 12 different acrylic colors onto a painting tray for him and put the tubes on wooden rods so he could paint around them without setting it down. After that while the paint was still wet he threw on some beads and glitter and he called it done. We let it dry for a while before we got it ready for casting. Hope that helps.

Again everyone, Thank you for the feedback!

jbswearingen

Okay, now I *see* what was done. The beads cleared it up. Awesome. I think my daughter would TOTALLY dig doing this, especially since her mother's b-day is coming up.

nava1uni

It is great that this was a collaboration. He did a very artistic job and the colors are clear and not muddy. He should be very proud of his work. He really isn't too young to start learning to work with power tools. Teach him all about the safety and how to handle and let him begin working with the least dangerous. Both of my girls worked with power tools starting around 5 to 6 years old. Home Depot has a monthly class for kids to begin working with hand tools and wood. It is free and lots of fun doing the projects together.
Check if out if you haven't already. Real nice looking pen.

wiset1

:eek: Some really great feedback! I guess I'll have to ask him if he would like to do a couple more pens and then work him into the tools and lathe. I can see it now though...tools, sander, and the lathe left out in the front yard..."But I was playing Daddy":biggrin: We'll work into it slowly. I just started to bring him fishing as well...he seems to like that also. Who knows

fireangels

Hey Tim heres an Idea for his starwars toys

let him paint the tubes you cast them and sell them in the classifieds split the money

doing things with kids = priceless

great job on that pen

3Peake

That is an absolutely awesome pen for any age to produce, you should be very proud of your son and glad that he takes an interest in what you do.
I agree with fireangels on the starwars toys idea......

lilliopus

Gorgeous pen Tim, and a great idea to boot.....

Wonder if I can get my dog and cat to participate like that?! (they are my kids) They do like putting paw prints on everything and if it's not the prints then it's the hair :rolleyes:

wiset1

With all this great feedback I'm sure he'll be excited to paint a couple more tubes for casting. This was the first time using a statesman kit instead of the Majestic and I kind of like it. Not as heavy as the Majestic, but still really nice.

Brooks803

He's hired! Your son is VERY creative & talanted Tim :worship:. I'd be a proud pappa if I were in your shoes. Just think...everyone here on IAP are either getting their kids to try this or borrowing someone elses kid to paint some blank tubes :eek:

Btw...I'm glad you found a workable way to use those beads! I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure something out that works. Now that I've been inspired I'll give some new ideas a try :wink:

IPD_Mrs

Enjoy

As well you should be - if this is any indication he is going to be one very talented and creative young man! Has a good start already :biggrin:
BTW - are those SPRINKLES???? LOL - I figure at "6" who knows right :wink:

Mrs.

wiset1

Not sure what you call them...the arts and crafts glitter strips that my wife had for her scrapbook stuff. He also added on some small glass beads. Either way, he had fun and it was something we could do together.

Thank you everyone! The feedback has been awesome and it's really put a smile on my sons face.

Top Bottom