Collaboration 17HMR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

Well, if you are like me, you have been busy doing bread and butter pens and not had time for anything out of the ordinary. Well, today I got to finish one that has been in the pipeline for a while now. And was somewhat of a collaboration between myself and Bruce Fifer (fiferb). He was kind enough to drill out the bullet on his Beall Chuck. So here is what we have. Comfort kit, 17HMR bullet nib, Bethlehem Olive Wood and antler body and the finial is the top of the bullet (rim). Now the bullet is smaller than a 1/4" in diameter so I had to mod the tubes to get it to work. Thanks to my punch set and a tube cutter I was able to get a snug fit before CA was applied. Well enough talkin' here it is.

bow17hmr.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Hans.... you know I like you.
Bruce.... you know I like you.
I know there's a lot of work in this pen.

That said, I'm not feeling the grip or the bullet. Something is just.... wrong. I think it's the combination of wood, rubber then brass, then copper. Not to mention the copper/brass/satin chrome. Then the wood/antler. I think it's all just too much. Again, I can appreciate the work that went into it, but it's just a little too out there for me.

hewunch

Syke, I hear what you are saying and I am not at all offended by the criticism. Honestly, I would not sell another rubber griped pen in my life if I could help it. I don't like them. But, I needed a transition of some sort to go down to this bullet if it was going to work. The only reason I went with the brushed chrome hardware is because I know the person getting it likes it. Hey, it was an experiment. I think the recipient will like it and I know some things I can do if I choose to make another.

hewunch

I used a copper tube cutter (like what they use to cut copper water pipe). It is not powered and does not generate heat. It is what allowed me to get the cap too.

hewunch

Ok, to calm everyone's concerns and because like Skye, I really did not like the color combination, I have changed the hardware to gold and deprimed the rim. Here are a couple of new pictures, but not one of the nib Bruce. If we meet early then yes, I will still have it.

bow17_hmr.jpg

bow17_hmr2.jpg

Skye

I think that's looking a little better.

Now if you could remove the lower 1/3 of the pen...... KIDDING, KIDDING!

hewunch

Well, I gave it to the person who it was for this morning and he loves it! SO, that is what really matters.

byounghusband

.......... Honestly, I would not sell another rubber griped pen in my life if I could help it. I don't like them. But, I needed a transition of some sort to go down to this bullet if it was going to work.

There is a great article in the latest Woodturning Design magazine about making your own nibs and such for your pens. I think a "little thinking outside the box" and that article could develop something you like better.....

Nice work, but I agree on the rubber grip thing.... Never turned one, never will. The 2nd version is better.

bitshird

Hans, that is a lot of work, I don't particularly like the pen, but I certainly appreciate the work and creative approach you took, Them 17's sure is good squirrel rifles !!!

Top Bottom