Collaborating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This is an amazing Eagle-ized blank--bloodwood and ash. Based on the comments it has garnered in person, I think I'll buy a few more of these the next time Eagle offers them.

2005973336_BloodwoodAndAsh.jpg

Comments are always welcome and I thank you for looking at my work. [8D]

Ron Mc

Lou,
Great looking pen. I really like the way the ash looks with the blood wood. Ash looks to be almost white!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for the generous words. The ash and bloodwood is particularly attractive in person. I feel lucky to be getting a glimpse of what Eagle must go through when he starts shaping one of these blanks. It's hard to keep that big ____ _____ grin off your face! [:D]

Turnitall

Please excuse me, I am not trying to be a wise guy, but as a newbie here I have been lurking alot and visiting the various member photo albums. On thing struck me as odd was your use of the term "collaboration". the piano pen and the flag pen, are for sale at Kallenshan Hardwoods, and this new pen blank you said was purchased from EAGLE. How is buying pen blanks a collaboration? Webster defines Collaboration as as "working together, especially in some literary, artistic, or scientific undertaking". This would preclude purchasing and assembling components. If that were the case, all of our pens would be collaborations with the turner, the kit manufacturer, and mother Nature for growing such lovely wood.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Turnitall
<br />Please excuse me, I am not trying to be a wise guy, but as a newbie here I have been lurking alot and visiting the various member photo albums. On thing struck me as odd was your use of the term "collaboration". the piano pen and the flag pen, are for sale at Kallenshan Hardwoods, and this new pen blank you said was purchased from EAGLE. How is buying pen blanks a collaboration? Webster defines Collaboration as as "working together, especially in some literary, artistic, or scientific undertaking". This would preclude purchasing and assembling components. If that were the case, all of our pens would be collaborations with the turner, the kit manufacturer, and mother Nature for growing such lovely wood.

I don't care about Webster, Lou and I had conversations and the end result was a blank that would "fit" the pen he was to use it on.
That, in my estimation is collaborating.
Lou and I call it brainstormning.
Each blank I make has an intended "kit" in mind.
Though some will go well on different pens based on the size and length it isn't just a case of gluing wods together.

btboone

The white wood with the way the grain sparkles reminds me of the sand discussed in another thread. That would be a trick; a sand and wood lamination pen.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
<br />Please excuse me, I am not trying to be a wise guy, but as a newbie here I have been lurking alot and visiting the various member photo albums. On thing struck me as odd was your use of the term "collaboration". the piano pen and the flag pen, are for sale at Kallenshan Hardwoods, and this new pen blank you said was purchased from EAGLE. How is buying pen blanks a collaboration? Webster defines Collaboration as as "working together, especially in some literary, artistic, or scientific undertaking". This would preclude purchasing and assembling components. If that were the case, all of our pens would be collaborations with the turner, the kit manufacturer, and mother Nature for growing such lovely wood.

What's your point? If you don't like what I choose to call it, call it something else when you do it. As far as I am concerned when two artists efforts go into producing something, it's a collaboration.

Rifleman1776

I'm with Lou here. What is your point? I have three blanks from Eagle acquired in a trade. Had four, one has been turned. To please your sensitivities, what would you like us to call this joint effort? [?][?]

Chuck Key

Originally posted by Rifleman

what would you like us to call this joint effort? [?][?]

con·glom·er·a·tion kon-glom-er-ra shun)
n.

1. The act or process of conglomerating.
2. The state of being conglomerated.
3. An accumulation of miscellaneous things.

Edit in:

conglomeration

n
1: a rounded spherical form [syn: conglobation]
2: a sum total of many heterogenous things taken together [syn: aggregate, congeries]
3: an occurrence combining miscellaneous things into a (more or less) rounded mass
[syn: conglobation]

Chuckie

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Hey guys,
I came on a little strong.
Turnitall is new though I don't know if he was a "lurker" before he registered.
Why don't we wait for me to take an unpopular postion and then you can all pile on me.[:D]
I don't think he meant any harm by his remark he just wasn't aware of the working relationship Lou and I have for "bainstorming"
I know what it's like to be misunderstood.[^]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I don't give a damn what you want to call it. Do you REALLY care what I call it? If you do, take your semantics question to "Casual Conversation" where perhaps someone might care.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Chuckie,
Please kick yourself in the butt if you are calling this pen a conglomeration. [:D]

Also, could we please stop the practice of not liking pens or techniques based on the turner or turners? Certain members really need to count to 10 million before posting digs at other members' work. Don't ask, you know d*** well who you are! [:(!]

woodscavenger

Websters?? Digs?? Splitting hairs.....who gives a crap that is an awesome PEN! So zip your lips or duct tape your fingers together and get out to the pen shop and make something! Nice work guys!

chigdon

I think the pen is amazing and the lamination by Eagle is excellent as usual. I wish I could limit my comments to the pen (since that is what this forum is meant for anyway). I am pretty new to this group but I have to say it is embarrasing to see what keeps happening.

I don't know anyone here personally but I imagine everyone is level headed in person. Give people anonymity and quick response time and you get a mess. I don't want to jump into the fray; I just don't understand why so many threads start off talking about pen turning (imagine that) and degrade into a shouting match.

Darley

Lou nice pen and nice combination.

Eagle should sell your pen blanks on E-bay you will make a fortune, BTW nice blank, ho! I did one blank, took me 2 days to do it, will explain when the pen is turned.

Thanks for sharing your collaboration you 2

CPDesigns

Wow, double wow, and triple wow! Outstanding work making the blank Eagle; and fantastic job bringing out the best in that blank Lou. Great teamwork!

Fleabit

Lou: Great job on the turning AND finishing of that pen. Keeping the red from bleeding to the white was managed excellently (me....I claim I am mixing the colors [:p]). Nice "popping" of the grain in the bloodwood. Overall...I love it!

Eagle: Again, I like the way you can combine woods in different combinations to come up with these blanks. I wish I had a smidge of your talent....great job on that blank. Let me know the next time you are going to make up a batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom