Coffee pens (a different approach)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Modelmaker

Modelmaker

Here are a couple of coffee pens I made for a local coffee roaster. He also asked me to come and sell my stuff at the local coffee roast off this weekend.

I would appreciate any comments, critiques etc...

coffeepens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikey

I like the darker beans with the platinum plating a whole lot more than the gold plating and lighter beans. The darker just looks more like coffee would.

Not a fan of the shape, but might be if there were a few more design elements there, such as beading.

Skye

I like them but I'd look into tinting (coffee color?) that resin and adding some luster.

I also agree that the green ones look off. Look almost like something other than coffee.

Modelmaker

the beans are actually from the same batch, the green ones are unroasted and the darker ones are (obviously) roasted.
Since he's a roaster he thought it would be cool and unique to show what they look like before and after

Skye

Then how about a three phase blank:

Top, unroasted
Middle, mix of the two
Bottom, roasted.

May not be two hard if you're making them in a tube. Just drop in the roasted, then a mix, then top it off with green.

Food...er... drink for thought.

Also, packing the beans down would be a good idea, unless you plan on tinting the resin. I think there's too much non-bean blank.

PaulDoug

I like'm. I prefer the shape of the non-roasted and the color of the roasted. But, they are both very nice. Hope your sale is a success.

Modelmaker

Then how about a three phase blank:

Top, unroasted
Middle, mix of the two
Bottom, roasted.

May not be two hard if you're making them in a tube. Just drop in the roasted, then a mix, then top it off with green.

Food...er... drink for thought.

Also, packing the beans down would be a good idea, unless you plan on tinting the resin. I think there's too much non-bean blank.

Actually I have one that I haven't taken a picture of yet that is unroasted at the top, light roast, med roast and then dark roast. it turned out nice.

redfishsc

Can I get one in decaf? You guys don't want to see me after caffeinated coffee.

And btw, very nice work. I bet your friend is gonna LOVE those. Very unique.

JohnU

They turned out nice. Ive tried to turn 2 of these and both times, I ended up covered in coffee dust with beans breaking out of the resin. I dont like to drink coffee so my coffee blanks are on the back burner.

Top Bottom