Coffee! Coffee! Coffee!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiz9777

wiz9777

This is the first time I tried casting something in the resin.
I agree with what I read in other people's posts, about coffee blanks.
1) My shop smelled great.
2) It was a freakin PITA to turn.
Loose beans kept flying everywhere. Any big holes I pack a bean back in, and then CA'ed the holes.
I used some gold and copper pearl-ex powers, mixed with espresso beans.

Attachments

• IMAG0998.jpg
    IMAG0998.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 187
  • IMAG1002.jpg
    IMAG1002.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 273
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Polyresin or alumilite? I think alumilite is a better choice for coffee beans. Polyresin tends to shrink when curing and may pull away from the beans. I've turned coffee bean blanks made from both and alumilite coffee bean blanks turned better. Also, pick beans that are not oily. Reports are that soaking the beans in acetone or lacquer thinner will leech out the oils and the beans will cast better once dried out. Try white or a cream colored resin next time. The beans show up better with a lighter color resin. But, yours look very nice and you may like that look better. Personal taste is not debatable.

And, yes, the shop will have a really nice aroma...
Do a good turn daily!
Don

wiz9777

Thanks.
I used "Castin' craft" PR, and cast it in a silicone bread mold. Then put it in my pressure pot for an hour. Next time I will try to leech the beans. The only reason I didn't use cream or white was because I didn't have any. I tried to use the last of my pearl-ex sample pack to try to make it look like coffee with some cream swirling in it. I was thinking of trying "Silmar 41" next, but I have been looking at alumilite also.
I am generally happy with the blank, and I do like the color, I just wish I spent a bit more time on the holes.
Live and learn. That's why I did this experiment.

Top Bottom