Coffee Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Stevej72

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevej72

I cast some Folgers coffee in PR last summer and it never did cure hard. I could flex it somewhat and when I tried to turn it, it blew up easily. I threw it in my junk box and when I came across it the other day I decided to give it another try. Here is how it turned out.

200811321132_01%2013%2008_0051_edited-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

badger

Can you share any tips on how you did it? I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, since I live in the home city of Starbucks Coffee and getting spent coffee grounds is pretty easy.

It wasn't till I found this forum that I thought I could actually do it. It had a been a random idea floating around in my head, but you guys actually do it.

I'd be curious how much resin to coffee, etc. any tips would be great, because that pen looks pretty nice.

Speaking of coffee, I think I'll head over to Starbucks for a fix.
badger

Stevej72

Thank You! Over time it did seem to cure a little more, although it was still somewhat flexible when I turned it. I made sure my tools were very sharp and I think that made a big difference this time.

I used a plastic tray about 3 x 5 inches. I mixed up enough PR for about 3/4 inch deep. I kept adding dry fresh coffee ground until it was very thick. I'm not sure how much, but it was about 1 to 1 mixture. The next day when I cut it up there was about 1/8 inch of PR on the surface where the grounds had settled.

I was wondering if alumilite would work better, because I think it would cure before the coffee could settle. That way you wouldn't need as much coffee grounds and it may cure much harder.

Hope this makes sense.

jhs494

The pen turned out very nice.
A little cream and sugar, and how about a cinnamon roll, that would make it perfect.

Tanner

Looks great from here!! Can you smell coffee from the tube ends? I picked up some coffee blanks from ElMostro and man do they smell great. If you can still smell the coffee it would be a great pen to use in the morning.[:D]

alxe24

Very nice pen.When I made mine I had the opposite problem The beans would float. I used whole beans so I ended up with clear pr at the bottom of the cast

jwoodwright

Amazing pen. I need to learn to cast. Is there a "window" for adding coffee grinds. I guess I'm looking at the working time and what is the latest you could add the grinds or beans that they would stay suspended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom