Coffee Anyone?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

I thought I would have a pen with my cup(s) of coffee in the AM.:rolleyes: Black Titanium Navigator in Coffee. Smells great while drilling and turning. Kept using thin CA to soak the blank to prevent breakout. CA finish X 6 coats, MM to 12000, and HUT plastic polish.
Thanks for looking! Hope everyone has a good week:). Doc

Attachments

• Navigator in Coffee_1.jpg
    Navigator in Coffee_1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Navigator in Coffee_2.jpg
    Navigator in Coffee_2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 151
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

Looks good, the wife wanted a pill case made from one of those. Had just enough left for a sierra. To bad it has to be sealed with CA and lose all the smell.

seamus7227

Looks superb Doc!!! Nice fit and finish, however the picture can be deceiving with the shadows, must be the black titanium plating. I want to make a coffee scoop using that same material!!

Tony's Pens

Love the pen. My wife wants one. I am very new to pen turning. Can I cast the coffee pen in PR and if so, how do I keep the coffee beans from floating. Also when I turn the pen do I need to seal the pen after turning it to keep the beans that are exposed from getting damaged.

Thanks for you help

wizard

I want to make a coffee scoop using that same material!!

Seamus, I made this last Christmas for my wife. She loved it. It has been well used..dishwasher..etc... Make sure and get the stainless steel version so the plating doesn't come off. I used only 3 or 4 coats of CA as I was still learning. Probably a good idea to use more. Really sharp tools. I did better with the pen by learning from the coffee scoop. Doc

Attachments

• Coffee Scoop Christmas 2009_1.jpg
    Coffee Scoop Christmas 2009_1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 84

wizard

Love the pen. My wife wants one. I am very new to pen turning. Can I cast the coffee pen in PR and if so, how do I keep the coffee beans from floating. Also when I turn the pen do I need to seal the pen after turning it to keep the beans that are exposed from getting damaged.

Thanks for you help

I used a premade coffee bean blank available at Woodcraft. While turning make sure and stop several times and use thin CA glue liberally on the blank let it dry to prevent tearout of the beans. I finished the pen as described above in my first post. Use really sharp tools. My first try was as a coffee scoop handle. :rolleyes:I cannot imagine myself doing the PR casting of the beans.:eek: Not that good at it! Let me know how it goes! Doc

seamus7227

Seamus, I made this last Christmas for my wife. She loved it. It has been well used..dishwasher..etc... Make sure and get the stainless steel version so the plating doesn't come off. I used only 3 or 4 coats of CA as I was still learning. Probably a good idea to use more. Really sharp tools. I did better with the pen by learning from the coffee scoop. Doc

Yeah I like the way that looks, Doc! Hmmm, let me know how your CA finish holds up to the dishwasher, thats a great experiment! not only for the scoop but how well pens would hold up when subjected to extreme temps on accident, i.e. forgot to take it out of pocket, :biggrin:thrown in wash, LOML mad as all get out cuz i ruined a good set of scrubs cuz the ink bled out!:eek:

Top Bottom