Coffee anyone?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from USAFVET98

USAFVET98

I had a little trouble with the finish.. Any suggestions on how to get it smooth and shiny? I got it shiny, but I could feel the beans still no matter how much I sanded..
Anyway, Here it is..

Attachments

• coffee 006.jpg
    coffee 006.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 295
  • coffee 008.jpg
    coffee 008.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 307
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Did you try a CA coating? You can build that up till it is smooth.
Won't smell as nice, but the coffee smell would go away anyway..

USAFVET98

Nice looking pen:)
What did you finish it with?
I agree with NewLondon if you build up coats of ca that should cover the ruff bits:)

Thanks for the compliment.
I used mm to 12000 after wet sanding and then rubbed with perfect polish a few times to get the tiny scratches out. I followed that with a coat of CA. It prob just needed more CA but I didnt want to ruin it as I only got two blanks.

Rum Pig

It can be hard to try and push things when they look so beautiful and you have worked so hard to get them there. But sometimes you need to believe in yourself and have a go. At last with CA you can always sand it back off:)

Good luck with your next blank:)

rbragg08

When I turned one of these blanks I soaked in CA as I was turning it so that the beans would be solid. It turned out smooth all the way. You can't feel the beans.

pianomanpj

Try putting a sanding block behind your sandpaper or sanding pad. It will support your abrasive evenly. When you sand by hand alone, your can very easily sand into the softer material faster.

ElMostro

Nice pen, the satin parts really look nice with the cofee blank.

The best way to finish the coffee blanks is to;
Turn with sharp tools, then when you are almost done turning dribble some thin CA on the blank (with the lathe off). I use one of those plastic bags where the pen parts come in over my index finger and hand turn the lathe while moving the CA all over the blank ...then let is soak in and set. Then turn just a hair and repeat the ca step. What this is doing is sealing any open pores on the coffee beans. Start sanding and sand (I start at about 320-400) up to about 600 then do the CA thing again. Then start again at about 600 and gently sand to your normal sanding routine. At this point you should do whatever finish you normally do. I always do a CA finish bec It is easy for me and it is really durable.

Moosewatcher

I've done a few of Eugenes coffee bean blanks and I got in trouble with the first one because I wet sanded. Water solvates the coffee beans, leaves the surface looking like the moon. Now before I get too close to the bushings I use 120 to 600 sand paper to finish it to the bushings and then finish it off with CA like Eugene described.
Same thing with the noodle blanks-- they don't like water either.

Ken

USAFVET98

Ken,
That makes perfect sense. I will do the next one without wet sanding.

Thanks

I've done a few of Eugenes coffee bean blanks and I got in trouble with the first one because I wet sanded. Water solvates the coffee beans, leaves the surface looking like the moon. Now before I get too close to the bushings I use 120 to 600 sand paper to finish it to the bushings and then finish it off with CA like Eugene described.
Same thing with the noodle blanks-- they don't like water either.

Ken

Top Bottom