Cocobolo Triton fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bgio13

bgio13

Ti/Gold and Chrome Triton dressed in Cocobolo with 5MM polished Bock nib. Finished using my OMWB poly dipping method.

Attachments

• DSC09015 (2).jpg
    DSC09015 (2).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 554
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

Very nice!!!!
Would love to hear about your dipping method sometime. It produced a great finish!

bgio13

Beautiful!....FRONT PAGE PEN!

Thanks Mal, and thank you Charlie for the endorsement. I am not sure about the tutorial thing but if anyone has any questions about my finishing process just ask, I would be happy to help. In the meantime here is a photo of another pen, and the setup I use. Thanks again,

Bill

Attachments

• DSC08990 (2).jpg
    DSC08990 (2).jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 280

magpens

Thanks for the extra picture, Bill. Another nicely finished pair of blanks.

You say you didn't use Craft Coat. Can you tell us what you used, please, or is that proprietary :biggrin: ?

I don't know what OMWB means.

Last edited:

bgio13

Thanks for the extra picture, Bill. Another nicely finished pair of blanks.

You say you didn't use Craft Coat. Can you tell us what you used, please, or is that proprietary :biggrin: ?

I don't know what OMWB means.

There is nothing in my pen making arsenal that is proprietary. There are a lot of people here that have answered every question I have asked, so it's nice to be able to give back any way I can. OMWB is short for Oil Modified Water Based polyurethane. This is the one I have found to work the best for me. I haven't found it to add any amber hues like an oil poly, and it dries fast like a water poly. Les Elm I believe started this method and used a Minwax product, but I found that product didn't work for me. Any more questions don't hesitate to ask,

Bill

Attachments

• poly.jpg
    poly.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 201

bgio13

Is this stuff like wood turners finish?
No Ray, Actually it's more like Enduro and the OMWB poly Minwax puts out, both of which I have used. They all look the same in the can, sort of milky in color, but dry clear. Wood turners finish looks more amber colored like the friction finishes we all used when we first started turning pens.

raar25

No Ray, Actually it's more like Enduro and the OMWB poly Minwax puts out, both of which I have used. They all look the same in the can, sort of milky in color, but dry clear. Wood turners finish looks more amber colored like the friction finishes we all used when we first started turning pens.

Have you tried applying while on the lathe as a friction finish?

bgio13

Have you tried applying while on the lathe as a friction finish?

I have not. I started applying Enduro as described here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f28/enduro-finishing-technique-waynes-10735/

I wasn't happy with the depth or gloss, so I started using the Minwax poly, then the OMWB Minwax poly both with the lathe running, but not as a friction finish. I could not sand out all the ridges very well, and the blanks still looked like they had scratches in them, that's why I decided to dip the blanks instead. I have a blank that I'm going to work on tomorrow, and I'll experiment a little with using it as a friction finish and will let you know what I find,

Bill

Top Bottom