cocobolo slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kinggabby

kinggabby

Trying to improve I am sure I am taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back. But I just keep on walking. Just applied BLO. What yall think ?

Attachments

• coco 002.jpg
    coco 002.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 195
  • coco 004.jpg
    coco 004.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I like the shape of this one. The finish is not my favorite. Gonna need to try and get a glossy finish. It will help for the durability of the pen and also appeal to a lot more people. Did Ron show you how to do CA finish?

Dudley Young

David: Did one like that out of Cocobolo when I first started. Ended up taking it apart and redoing it later because it started to fade. Like the shape. BZ

David Keller

1000% better shape IMO. I'm not crazy about the finish, but I like hard, shiny finishes. If you like the matte or satin look, more power to you. You've made a tremendous leap between this pen and the last one I saw you post. Keep 'em comin'.

RAdams

Banned
No Ernie, I haven't had a chance to show him how i do a CA finish yet. We are planning to get together soon for an afternoon of turning fun!!! My CA isn't the best in the world, but it gets by...

There was a guy at the Chapter meeting last year with some closed end pens that had the most amazing CA finish i have ever seen. I wish i could remember who that guy was...

I agree, The shape on this one is alot more pleasing. The pre-finish is not quite there, but again, alot closer than before. Once you finesse your finish turning, and sanding techniques, the actual finish will get ALOT easier! We gotta get you over this fear of the bushings bro. After that, your form will be on spot. One thing to think about with size,,, You can always build up medium or thick CA to get back to bushing size if you go a little skinny, but if it is too thick, it is too thick... The material's final diameter should be as close to the exact same as the components. This is especially important at the nib. If you have bad fits, it gives a place for dirt and grime to build up over the life of the pen, which will not only damage it, but also make it look crusty.

Stay at it and keep up the good fight!! It is fun for us to watch your natural progression. If you keep up this learning pace, you will be doing kitless in no time!

Top Bottom