Cocobolo Pen and Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

splinter99

You gotta love cocobolo but it can be difficult to finish at times ..I was having so many problems with finishes that I was ready to give up..I went to the IAP library and read every thread I could find on ca finishes..I totaly changed my approach to doing it and so far the finishes are comming out better then before in half the amount of time

chrome cigar and pentel conversion in cocobolo
ca finish

4-10-09-11_editedMedium.jpg

Comments welcomed
Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

splinter99

Sure..I sand with 220 then 400 norton xxx sand paper..then apply just a bit of EEE ultra shine with the lathe off. Turn the lathe on high and rub with paper towel, moving to a clean spot untill all residue is gone..I then give it a quick mist of accelerator..
I apply a coat of thin ca with the lathe on the second to the highest setting..I apply it with a folded up paper towel and move the paper towel back and forth across the spinning blank only a couple of times. amd very quickly. You want to stop rubbing before the ca sets. Let it spin untill the ca is set (about 30 seconds) then repeat..after 2 or 3 coats give it just a hint of accelerater(I use the pump kind from Monty) give it 2 or 3 more coats,,if it feels a little tacky, give it a little accelerator as needed.. when your done with both barrels(about 6 coats total) give it a little more accelerator..I sand lighty with the micromesh..with the 1500 I sand with the lathe runnung, then sand with the
lathe off until a uniform flat surface is achieved, I go through the rest of the grits with the lathe off untill 4000 or 6000, then sand with the last few grits with the lathe runnung. wipe the blank with a paper towel between each grit. I used to use ca/blo but would often get bare spots..with this method I have had no problems
As a final step I buff with McGuires scratch and swirl remover and it comes out like glass
Total finishing time is about 10 minutes where I used to spend about an hour(or more) and get good results about 50 percent of the time

Knock on wood, I hope I have continued success with this method.I have done several this way and so far all have come out on the first try. I tried it tonight with the shop temp at about 55 degrees and it still came out the same

mrburls

Great looking set of pens. Your finish is fantastic. Fit also looks pretty good from my view. Your CA finish is near what I do but am going to try your way to see if I can improve my finish.

Keith "mrburls"

talbot

Stunning Harold, a very high class looking set. The finish is gorgeous and the shape of both I think, is just perfect.
regards, Bill

Rarest wood

I appreciate your sharing your technique I am like a lot of folks here who can say I have not quite mastered the CA finish all the time i guess if it works on cocobolo its a good bet it will work on other oily timbers

stolicky

Good job on the pen and pentel. I know that the pentels are especially difficult as I had my first go around yesterday and the 3rd attempt survived! Cocobolo also a very hard wood.

As for the technique, thanks for sharing. Kind of reading between the lines it almost seems like you are attempting to dry the surface of the wood +/- and getting it sealed as quickly as possible before the natural oils come to the top. I guess its kind of like a sanding sealer (sort of). The interesting thing is that the EEE is used as the polisher first before you seal it. I'm glad you found a technique that works. CA finishes, especially on oily woods, can be a difficult and challenging process.

Top Bottom