Cocobolo Patrizio, first real try at CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AZturner

AZturner

Hello,

Just finished up my first real try at a CA finish after doing some research on some different approaches. I would appreciate any feedback on the finish, and also on the pen itself as I'm still new to this stuff (think this is my 6th finished piece now?)

Thanks in advance for any critiques or feedback for improvement!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

Overall, I like the pens. The fit, particularly at the centerband, might need to be matched a little better. Make sure you use calipers to match up the measurements with the hardware. However, I can't tell for sure due to the background. The finish looks to be pretty smooth and clear.
If this is your sixth pen, you are doing very well.
I hadn't seen the Patrizio before. Your choice of wood goes well with it.
Hope to see more of your work in the near future.
gordon

plano_harry

Nice looking pen! I was not a fan of the Patrizio, but you made it look good and I have to rethink my position. I like your photography. The shape of the pen is a very good extension of the hardware. Your CA finish looks good as well.

From the photos, it looks like the lower barrel is overturned a little at the centerband, as Gordon pointed out. Not as obvious in the other spots. If you don't have some good digital calipers, that would be the next step in advancing your art. Harbor Freight often runs a really nice 6" caliper for $9.99. I use 3 of these and set them to the exact diameter of the mating hardware. I originally planned to make a chart of various kits and dial-in the dimensions, but it is easier to measure the actual part and know you have a perfect fit. With an overturned tube, you can build up CA to get back to the hardware diameter if you want to go to that trouble.

Again, I really like the looks of the pen and wood combo you chose.

Harry

jmbaker79

Good looking 6th, or any other, pen for sure! Love the shape, and the CA finish looks pretty good as well....Are you using an ca accelerator? Looks as if there may be some pitting near the center band from accelerator spray? I could be super wrong, but I just dealt with this the other day. If you have enough layers it usually can be sanded right out! Keep up the good work, looking forward to the next one!

Last edited:

AZturner

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I turned everything right down to the bushings, but the fit is similar as you are mentioning near the center band around all of the fittings. I was pretty surprised when I started assembling it to see this, so either the supplied bushings are way out of spec or that is the way it is supposed to look. I have not bothered to do any measuring on anything as I thought that was the point of the bushings, but perhaps I need to rethink that.

The CA finish was about 6 coats of medium with no accelerator used, as that seemed to be a common source of issues with the finish and I didn't mind it taking a little longer to apply. It looks a bit better in hand than it does in the photos, but I have not handled any other pens personally with a 'good' CA finish to be able to compare.

Overall I think your pen came out really well. The very small flaws that are pointed out are just to help you think about details. Very nice pen and you had to overcome some real adversity to get this one finshed. Keep up the great work and keep posting your pens.

plano_harry

Don't count on the bushings to be correct - even when new, they may not match your hardware and after a few uses they either get turned/sanded smaller, or get larger if you are using them when you apply your CA. They are just a convenient and quick way to get close to your final diameter. Then measure, lite cuts, measure, turn, repeat...until you get what you want. Many people will turn a couple of thousandths smaller (overturned) and then when they add their CA coats and sand, they are exactly on the perfect fit to the hardware. Hope that clarifies the bushing question.

Harry

wouldentu2?

Nice looking pen you are learning well.

When using CA I found if the bushings were a little smaller it then allowed me to apply the CA and not stand proud of the bushings.
Bushings wear down over time due to sanding and nicking them with tools. A caliper really allows you to sneak up on the right size.

Sataro

Nice looking pen for #6! Nice to see you are already experimenting with CA finishes. Your finish looks good. I was still using friction polish that early in the game. Looking forward to seeing more of your pens.

Top Bottom