Cocobolo Oxford Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WillinSEMN

WillinSEMN

I'm still relatively new to this having started the hobby this summer. I've learned a lot so far from the good folks at IAP; although I have a lot to learn.

I picked up some Oxford V2 rollerballs from PSI because I thought they would be a good way to use up small off-cuts from blanks. Relatively inexpensive kit, good heft to it, masculine feel.

I used a scrap of cocobolo which I thought went well with the black and gold. Straightforward kit to turn. Sanded to 600, EEE ultrashine paste wax, followed by two coats of Shellawax. Was a relatively quick project to turn tonight while the kids were wrapping up homework (I prepped the blank yesterday).

Will probably just be a pocket pen for me at work for now. Need to get the skills up some more to start making some Christmas presents.

All C&C welcome.

Cheers,
Will

Attachments

• IMG_1956.jpg
    IMG_1956.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1957.jpg
    IMG_1957.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1955.jpg
    IMG_1955.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 208
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WillinSEMN

I think the kit is pretty nice for the price point (7.95). Threads in the couplers are plastic. Overall weight of the pen feels solid. 10mm tube gives the pen a good feel. Haven't had it long enough to know how well the plating will hold but quality seems good. Cap is light but doesn't feel flimsy.

So overall I think it is good for a relatively lower priced pen. Again the nice thing is that it is a good way to use smaller bits of wood leftover from blanks since it is a relatively short single tube.

Hope that helps!

Top Bottom