Cocobolo Majestic - Attention PenMan1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim15

Jim15

Hello Everyone,
This is a Rhodium and Black Titanium Statesman I got from Andy Little (PenMan1). The wood is Cocobolo. I'm a little disappointed in the wood as most of the wood doesn't have that orange color that can be seen at the top of the pen. I can't make up my mind if I want to redo it with a different blank as this is a nice looking kit. What do you think? Thanks for looking.

Cocobolo - Majestic.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Jim, I like it! I also agree with mike. Let it set for a week and then see what it looks like. You did a good job on that big sucker!

Lenny

Jim,
While the fit and finish are all superb, I see why you are debating it ... an unusual piece of cocobolo and not in a good way. IMHO
I hope, as the others suggested, that waiting awhile it might darken up. If it doesn't and you end up taking it apart, I would be very interested in the steps you use to do this, especially knocking out the plastic center sleeve :confused: any tips you know or learn might come in handy someday.
Hope it doesn't have to come to that for you :)

Jim15

Thanks for the response everyone. Hopefully it will darken a little. Lenny if I do take it apart I will let you know how I do it (if I can do it without destroying it).

jaeger

I wouldn't even consider taking this pen apart. Don't second guess yourself. Once you pressed that baby together, you were "all in"
It's a nice pen!.

PenMan1

Add $15 to the price and sell it as "exotic" cocobolo! If someone says "that doesn't look like cocobolo" explain that is why it cost more, because it is figured differently than "ordinary" cocobolo. Exotic should always be worth $10-15 more than "ordinary" :)

cnccutter

Jim great pen.

I have had similar troubles and it helped putting it in a sunny window for a week or so. don't lay it down or you'll get a pen that's lighter on one side.

as others have said, don't be too quick about wanting to take it apart.

Erik

RDH79

Jim,
I hope, as the others suggested, that waiting awhile it might darken up. If it doesn't and you end up taking it apart, I would be very interested in the steps you use to do this, especially knocking out the plastic center sleeve :confused: any tips you know or learn might come in handy someday.

Same here I have 2 kits that I tried to take apart. Plastic piece broke right out. Called CSUSA and they do not have them. So I would leacve it as is.

RichH.

JimMc7

Agree doesn't really look like cocobolo but grain is nice so similar to what others' have said: market it as the extremely rare "albino" cocobolo!

JimMc7

<snip>
Same here I have 2 kits that I tried to take apart. Plastic piece broke right out. Called CSUSA and they do not have them. So I would leacve it as is.

RichH.

IME, best way to get the humongous plastic couplers (e.g., like those on Jr Statesman) is to "press" them out rather than knocking them out. Roy (OKLAHOMAN) also offered a great tip to shorten these extra long couplers -- cut JSII sized couplers down to JGII size for example. I've never made a Majestic so may not have the oversized coupler issue.

Jim15

Thanks for te repiles everyone. I have let it sit out for several days and it is darking up. I don't think I will have to take it apart, especally after what RichH advised. I'll let it sit out another week or so and then post a before and after picture. It doesn't darken up enough I will call it albino Cocobolo and charge more as Andy & JimMc7 suggested. :) Thanks again.

Lenny

Thanks for te repiles everyone. I have let it sit out for several days and it is darking up. I don't think I will have to take it apart, especally after what RichH advised. I'll let it sit out another week or so and then post a before and after picture. It doesn't darken up enough I will call it albino Cocobolo and charge more as Andy & JimMc7 suggested. :) Thanks again.

:good: :)

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
IME, best way to get the humongous plastic couplers (e.g., like those on Jr Statesman) is to "press" them out rather than knocking them out.

I find it much easier to buy another pair of tubes for $.49 and then take
the pen apart as normal except for the plastic coupler. (After ruining two
or three I'll never try that again.) Get a small pair of cutters, snip into the
brass tube and then 'peel' it away from the coupler. You peel around the
brass tube like you're peeling an apple and pretty soon you're left with
just the undamaged coupler.

Top Bottom