Cocobolo Jr Gent (from Bill Jacobs)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

Take a look at a closed end baron with an African Blackwood accent topped with another piece of coco. This is another piece from Bill Jacobs. I didn't know which side to show, so I did both.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

200731742754_closed%20end%20baron%20coco.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alxe24

NIce looking pen. Interesting (in the good way) end for the pen. I like the fact that the pen is pretty straight. Nice pice.

its_virgil

I thought it would look different than the others that have been posted. I glued on the section of blackwood then another piece of cocoblo and I'm not sure I like it. Looks like I did a screwup and had to fix it...which I have been guilty of on previous occasions.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by NavyDiver
<br />Nice pen, Don. Just curious - why did you add the blackwood?

johncrane

Yes Don! l also think it looks a bit iffy with the cocoblo it looks very long to me' maybe it's the photo not too sure' Also Don l was wondering when drilling the closed end blanks do you have a limit as to how far you go past the brass tube or do you drill to the length of the tube. l just finish my first closed end pen an experiment really' l turned it on the end of the mandrel and used the tail stock to steady it. it when ok the total length off the pen was about 5inches l try and post it soon.[:)]

its_virgil

John: I'm don't think I like the blackwood either. I thought it would look good but now I don't think so. I don't make these very often. It does look long...It may go back on the lathe to loose the black and a little length. I need to settle on a lenght for these. Mine always seem to be too long and look strange. I drill the hole for the brass tube the same length as the tube. I then drill a 1/4 inch hole to accommodate the spring and refill. Example: For a baron the tube hole is 2 1/8 inch and the 1/4 inch hole is 6/8 inch for a combined length of the two hole of 2 7/8 inches. These measurements will be unique for each pen kit and may vary from rollerball to fountain pen.

Serge: I agree... It didn't look the way I envisioned when I planned it. It will get shorter and deblacked later this afternoon. I'll answer your email also. Sorry it has taken me longer than usual.

kruger: I agree...the guilding will be gone...look for a revision later today.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will learn how to make these closed end pens so they look better...really I will.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by johncrane
<br />Yes Don! l also think it looks a bit iffy with the cocoblo it looks very long to me' maybe it's the photo not too sure' Also Don l was wondering when drilling the closed end blanks do you have a limit as to how far you go past the brass tube or do you drill to the length of the tube. l just finish my first closed end pen an experiment really' l turned it on the end of the mandrel and used the tail stock to steady it. it when ok the total length off the was about 5inches l try and post it soon.[:)]

GaryMGg

Don,

What would you think of adding a tenon to the closed end like the kit only as part of the barrel?
I'm glad you decided to redo this one. It didn't look as good as your others to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom