Cocobolo...Gutted!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

Probably the best piece off Cocobolo I've ever seen. has these beautiful flashes and burl in it. I've only ever made two Cigar pens and I got a couple of the bushings wrong way round. Not blaming anyone but I find Woodcraft instructions not to be the best. Anyway, my fault.

So, the top of the lower barrel too small at the middle and the top of the cap has a lip. I tried dismantling, figured I could at least fix the cap, but the components starting to come apart so i figured I would leave it.

Not sure whether to still sell it or not, hate to give it away cheap.

Thoughts and ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3508.jpg
    IMG_3508.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_3505.jpg
    IMG_3505.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_3510.jpg
    IMG_3510.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_3533.jpg
    IMG_3533.jpg
    458.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3534.jpg
    IMG_3534.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 113
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I don't know what to tell you about selling it, since that's between you and a potential customer. I would just make sure they realize the little overhang and don't have buyer's remorse later on, if you do decide to sell it.

That is a really pretty piece of wood though!

SteveG

If you decide to sell it, go "up front" with the miss-match, but not as a mistake. Point it out as part of your design, and something they may like about the pen. That way, you have no buyer's remorse to deal with.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Outstanding blank and I feel the pen look really good. I would go ahead and sell it, just let the buyer know it, after all in a lot of thinks mistake make the item worth more. Don't feel bad I did the same thing with a cigar I made.

I think I would fix it even if it means wasting the hardware and putting it on a new set. That wood deserves it. That is a stunning piece of cocobolo. I would do as already stated and build up the one piece and turn the other down. Stephen you always come up with stunning timber for your pens.

rhall_8

You can just send it to me. I won't make a big fuss about the lip :) Nice looking pen all the same.

Top Bottom