cocobolo closed ends pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from George Watkins

hello folks

Here's a simple closed end pen made out of cocobolo

P1060877-1.jpg

P1060880.jpg

here's my first ever set made from yew but i didnt make this one up as i only had one kit and i'm not sure about the cap flowing well with the body- I might make another cap out of bog oak or African blackwood.
P1060889.jpg

here's the two simple jam chucks i used to turn them with- there made from boxwood.
P1060891.jpg

p.s when there closed at both ends do you still call them "closed end" or do you call them somthing else? "closed ends" does sound right

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

:eek:Truly amazing work! The second one made from Yew is stunning to say the least. I envy the work of artists like you who inspire to move past the kits. Amazing work:biggrin:

keithkarl2007

Oh man i want to see the yew one together, what kit is it for? I'm only across the pond and I'll send over one.

Thank you-

i used the vail kit- 0.590" for the cap bushing and 0.511" for the nib

what about the yew cap Karl- dont you think it looks kind off clumsy not following the same profile as the main body?

Last edited:

jskeen

Thank you-

i used the vail kit- 0.590" for the cap bushing and 0.511" for the nib

what about the yew cap Karl- dont you think it looks kind off clumsy not following the same profile as the main body?

I saw this days ago, but just ran across it again and had time to comment this time.

Pens are funny things, they are usually inherently unsymmetrical. The difference in length between the sections can make a difference in profile actually look more balanced than if they were the same profile just changed for length. I would definitely mount that onto a kit and look at it and see what you think. Leave it sitting on your desk next to the other one and fondle them both for a few days to see what you think. Some shapes grow on you, others begin to look out of kilter after some time. It's a valuable lesson in proportion and balance, one of the things that the masters have gained an instinctive feel for over time, and you have a perfect opportunity for a lesson.

In any case, if you don't like the yew one after a few days, I'll swap you a new kit for it :)

Thank you for your kind comments

jskeen: I have got that yew one on my desk at the moment and i have to say that i really like the barrell but the cap is still not growing on me- i have some kits on their way to me and when they arrive i think i'm going to turn it into a single closed end pen and turn the closed cap into a normal cap with clip etc

thank you

best wish's
george

Russianwolf

have to agree, that's a gorgeous piece of Yew. If you don't like the balance of the shape, I'd rechuck it and rework it, it's too nice to throw away.

The Cocobolo is nice too.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Stunning work! Actually, I think when the yew is put together it will balance out well. It's very pleasing to my eye. Matter of preference. It isn't going to mess anything up if you make another cap. Your work and ingenuity is very good.

Top Bottom