Cocobolo Cigar and TEC-7 Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lhowell

lhowell

A person asked me to make a "matching" set of pens. She settled on the black titanium cigar pen kit and the PSI Gunmetal TEC-7 Kit both in Cocobolo. I used one 12" piece of Cocobolo and grain matched the two pens. 11 coat thin CA finish sanded through 12,000 grit and buffed with plastic polish. I think next time I'll stick to a few less coats of CA as I like the protection CA gives but these were starting to look a little "encased." Tried out a new photo technique I have seen on here a few times too with the mirrored glass tile and white background. Needs a little refinement but for an iPhone picture I don't think they turned out too bad??

Attachments

• Cocobolo on Black Titanium Cigar.jpg
    Cocobolo on Black Titanium Cigar.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 244
  • Cocobolo on Gunmetal Tec-7.jpg
    Cocobolo on Gunmetal Tec-7.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Spectacular piece of Cocobolo, Beautifully Matched.
Was there a requirement for the Clip Blank diameter to be large?
If not, IMHO it tends to distract from an otherwise Beautiful Pen .
It is Particularly Noticeable in the Mirror Reflection, as seen without the Clip covering it.
I share your thoughts regarding the multiple coats of CA.
Regards,
Brian.

lhowell

Spectacular piece of Cocobolo, Beautifully Matched.
Was there a requirement for the Clip Blank diameter to be large?
If not, IMHO it tends to distract from an otherwise Beautiful Pen .
It is Particularly Noticeable in the Mirror Reflection, as seen without the Clip covering it.
I share your thoughts regarding the multiple coats of CA.
Regards,
Brian.

Thanks for the feedback OZTurner. No there was no requirement for the larger clip end but there is a bit of a backstory....for the first time I didnt use my calipers when placing the bushings on the blanks and ended up switching two of the bushings around. One happened to be on the clip end blank. So after finishing the first time and halfway assembling the pen before realizing my mistake, I had to disassemble the clip end blank and put it back on the lathe with the correct bushings and return (won't make that mistake again!!!)
I guess I could have turned the clip end down more to even out the shape but the client was more than happy and the pen still had good balance to it. I attached two other cigars I did that are not quite as bulbous.

Attachments

• IMG_1789.jpg
    IMG_1789.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2504.jpg
    IMG_2504.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 102

mecompco

The properly (IMHO) sized cigars look great! I've learned that with four different sized bushings, one has to be darned careful with Cigars to keep them properly oriented. :)

Regards,
Michael

PS As long as the client is happy, they are all good.

lhowell

The properly (IMHO) sized cigars look great! I've learned that with four different sized bushings, one has to be darned careful with Cigars to keep them properly oriented. :)

Regards,
Michael

PS As long as the client is happy, they are all good.

Thank you! Hey, I take any feedback I can get good or bad! At this point, I am really trying to grow my hobby into a decent side income and I take each point of advice with an open mind so that I can only better my work!

Top Bottom