Cocobolo burl, spalted hackberry, afzelia xylay and ironwood!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys!

I have been saving this blank for a while, some really dark blood red cocobolo burl with nice eyed sapwood. One of my best, I am happy it turned to be my finest pen to date, flawless finish, good fit and the pen matches the kit, notice the sapwood on the top cap! :)

Here is another cocobolo burl, this specie is more on the orange side, really fine pins on that one!

Finally I was able to make a afzelia xylay, I had problems finishing that type of wood, SUCESS! Notice the nice 3D pattern on that one!

This is ironwood burl with really little burl, that wood is fun to work with, as the name suggest it's so dense and the reflexion/chatoyance in the light can't be beat!

And the last one, spalted hackberry, I thought it looked like a rotten bone or something so I went with a mat finish. :)

Any comment welcomed!

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CharlesH

Thanks for the kind words Jon,

I have passed the last 2 days trying to figure out what was wrong with my finishing, since the last 6 pens were not up to my standard (I had problems making a consistent finish).

So I changed my contaminated MM pads and decided to sand on lower RPM (1500) and since then I get a really uniform finish! I am happy and relieved. :p

Charles

Your finishes are amazing!

Jon-wx5nco

I was reading some of you previous posts on how you get your ca finish. I'm going to have to try that method. I've been applying the CA with the lathe running at slow speed. I also havent tried steal wool. Hopefully, I can get out in the garage this weekend and give that a try

ToddMR

OMG!!! That first pen is extremely NICE! I can't even put it into words. The wood, the finish, all beautiful! Nice job, just one of the nicest pens I have seen.

Agree with Todd...the first one is just perfect. I really like the afzelia xylay as well...the only blank I had blew out as I was putting the finishing touches on it :( The fit and finish are impressive.

Robert

CharlesH

I am starting a master degree this autumn, I made this pen for myself. The blank is so nice, I just worked around it. :)

Charles

OMG!!! That first pen is extremely NICE! I can't even put it into words. The wood, the finish, all beautiful! Nice job, just one of the nicest pens I have seen.

broitblat

Those are all extraordinary, but the first one, in particular, is nothing short of spectacular. Your work really brings out the best in those blanks.

-Barry

Top Bottom