Cocobolo and Aluminum Scallops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

I got this Cocobolo from Alton and decided to dress it up a bit. I hope you like it.
il_570xN.448282451_8k4x.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Mike that has alot of potential. Looks like you took to this segmenting thing very well. I like what you are doing and trying all these new things. As you perfect them more and more you are really going to turn out some stellar work. Keep them coming and thanks for showing.

The more of these that I do the more I learn about precision. I am trying to put something like this into all of my pens now. I will continue to use the formula that I have been working on from the start. These are not complicated to make just takes practice and attention to detail.

08K.80

I don't care for wood for a pen but, that design is neat.
Is it possible to put a darker color between the two designs, across the centerband? Does that make sense?

EDIT: I made it lighter. Can this be done with that design?

DC_zps01d7b54e.jpg

Last edited:
I don't care for wood for a pen but, that design is neat.
Is it possible to put a darker color between the two designs, across the centerband? Does that make sense?

EDIT: I made it lighter. Can this be done with that design?

DC_zps01d7b54e.jpg

Yes that can be done for sure. I will do one tonight so you can see what it looks like. I need another blank to glue up anyway. Basically what you need to do is what is in my segmenting thread in Blank Making/Segmenting. It doesn't tell specifically what to do but it is all there. I will try to make this pen tonight using cocobolo and maple burl should be interesting and fun.

I am trying to get a few tricks that will quickly dress my pens up and that is why I did that. I will use some variation of this design on most of my pens now but think I may do most of it on the cap end instead of spreading it to the business end?

gbpens

Another beautiful design. When making a cut through the first design check the width of the saw kerf to the width of the aluminum strip. If they are not equal the first design element wil be out of line.

The way I make these it takes the saw kerf completely out of the equation. But if you don't cut the next set just so it makes things out of line. I now have a decent way of figuring out when to make the extra cuts needed to get he second set of scallops incorporated into the blank.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

Yes that can be done for sure.

Good luck to you Mike !!:eek: :biggrin:I think it can be done too, but leaving the darker triangles wouldn't be easy.
I think I can do it with a router, but I don't think I could do it with any kind of saw. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do it.:)

It really is a cool pen by the way!!
And give my regards to Alton. Cool guy!!

The scallops will have to be the color of the wing that is left on the wood. I am going to get one in cocobolo and the other in some really light thuya burl that I have. Will have to wait to see it I am waiting for the glue to dry.

I have been using epoxy that I got at home depot but I am trying a new odorless CA on the 2 that I am working on now. I am also trying to use some acrylic instead of wood. Not sure how it will go but trying it anyway.

Last edited:

PenPal

Forgive my spelling but this your pen is for me the quintecentual black number that turns heads from every direction leaving me spellbound in awe and admiration. I have this habit and policy to view submissions as they appear, others presumptions and interest would have you dancing on the head of a pin.

I admire your acceptance of the challenges looking to see your future pens with this theme.

Outstanding simplistic design exhibits classic proportion with incredible impact as I say to my wife often when referring to her I would not seek to change anything moving forward from each experience.

Kind regards Peter.

EagleTa2

Mike,

Another beautiful pen...and perfectly segmented! Nice job!!

Here's a question... you seem to have a great source and a love for turning burls...I've seen you turn out madrone burls, maple burls, and come burls I can't even pronounce!

Would you mind sharing your source for your blanks? If you might be interested in a few blanks of curly walnut burl I would be happy to swap some blanks with you.

Let me know

Thanks
Geo

Top Bottom