Cobra skin pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alxe24

Status
Not open for further replies.

alxe24

Before anything I like to thank Don for the great tutorial about the skin pens. It is great. To all of you that are going to give this a try make sure you follow it to the T. I took a few (2) shortcuts and both with consequences, so when the man said to paint the tubes, paint the tubes, and when he said to put some CA around the cork you do that or PR will zip into the tube (don't ask how I know)
Anyway this is cobra skin and I'm pretty happy although there is room for improvement.
The other one is what you see antler casing (308) Ebony band. I'm still not sold on the casing pen looks. I thought once I made one I was going to like them better but I'm not quite there yet.
Thanks for looking
I welcome comments.
Regards,
Alex

2007427203440_Cobra-01.jpg

2007427203457_Cobra02.jpg

200742720359_Antler.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Alex,

Nice work on the cobra skin. I think you might like cartridge pens better with the casing at the nib end. Sorry, but what you show here seems awkward and out of balance to my eyes.

FWIW,

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
The cobra skin is great for that kit, a great match. I like the way you used the casing on the second one. It is different from the others I have seen, and congratulations on doing a different way!

OKLAHOMAN

I agree that doing things different shows imagination and glad you posted the 308,but I think you just might like casing pens much better if you swich ends. The cobra is fantastic,where did you get the skin?
Originally posted by Rojo22
<br />The cobra skin is great for that kit, a great match. I like the way you used the casing on the second one. It is different from the others I have seen, and congratulations on doing a different way!

alxe24

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Alex,

Nice work on the cobra skin. I think you might like cartridge pens better with the casing at the nib end. Sorry, but what you show here seems awkward and out of balance to my eyes.

FWIW,

It does look weird and out out balance I should try one the other way and see the results. It fees good though, the depresion on the lower barrel makes it pretty easy to handle.
Thanks for the comments.
Here is the source of the skins
http://exotichides.com/

alxe24

One more image I think it show better. I still can't do what Kiddo does his effect look a lot better. I still try.

200742884947_Cobra-03.jpg
<br />

angboy

Love the sierra. It's funny that everyone else prefers the casing pen with the two ends reversed from how you have them, becaquse I prefer it this way. I'm not a huge fan of them to begin with, but I never like the way they look in the middle, b/c of the top part of the casing- that goes against the hypothetical centerband, always looking to me like, if it were wood, it still needs to be turned down some. It always seems to me like there's an abrupt transition there that I just don't like. Don't know if I explained clearly, but I do like the way you did this one.

Alex,
Since I have a phobia about snakes, I'm not sure I ever want to do snake skins... they look really nice and yours is especially nice in the last picture..

and I also am not sure about the cartridge pens.. I know they are a rage now and probably if you have a lot of hunters in your customer base, can be profitable.. I'm
just not sure I like them myself. I do like the antler pens and they sell quite well for me. I like the cartridge as a cap, if it isn't heavy and out of balance that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom