Cobalt Blue Mokume FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from IPD_Mr

IPD_Mr

Had a little time today to work on another M3 blank. The cobalt looks more like Damascus when turning and sanding. Once you start to use the polish is when the cobalt pops. Coments and critiques are always welcome.

1_fp-107b.jpg

1_fp-107a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

le_skieur

Great looking pen Mike, I like the blue cobalt matching the rhodium Jr Retro and especially the matching finial!

IPD_Mr

Thank you all for the comments. I do have to confess though. I turned it round along with a few other blanks, and Linda picked what kits to go with what blanks. She also insisted that I swap out the finial. The finial was turned completely with a 3/16" parting tool.

wizard

Mike and Linda, Great job on a gorgeous pen!! The components and blank really compliment each other well and the finial truly makes it stand out!!! Thank you for showing. Regards, Doc:)

IPD_Mrs

Thanks guys - this is probably one of my favorite kit pens that Mike has done in a while. I too love the finished look that the matching finial brings to the pen and I must say the cobalt M3 is stunning. I hope the second piece we bought is as pretty as this one!

For those of you who worry about the cost - watch for the sales and get a piece then. When you sell a pen made from it buy some more. The first pen we sold made from M3 hit a VERY nice number! :wink:

broitblat

Very nice. Great combination, nicely turned. The few times I've tried M3, I haven't been able to get the figure to come through very well -- it must be my finishing.

-Barry

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Hey! All Y'all! Mike shall henceforth be known as the "Carrot man"! He hung the Celtic Carrot out in front of his Pappy In Law, I'm not finished with it yet, and NOW the Cobalt M3. What is he trying to do? Get me committed? Can't be that, cause there's no inheritance left after the advent of pen turning:( I do have a couple of these blanks so I guess if I screw up the first one, I don't have to admit it!! Well!! Nah, we'll let the Carrot Man go and just settle on the "Inspirationalist" That he is, and a Great turner, Son In Law, and besides that a Phenomenal Pen Turnin "Edgumicator" Thanks Mike! Oh! And did I tell you? GREAT LOOKING PEN!!!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I've never been keen of those plastic metals ( mainly cos of their price I suppose ) but I must admit that that one looks ok.

You said that you made the blank round first. Did you part off the bit for the finial first, then use the remainder for the pen? I didn't think those blanks were long enough to do that.

IPD_Mr

Steven,
Once I turned the blank round, I marked it for the tubes and cut the pieces on the band saw. I put the piece I had left back in the collet chuck and shaped it and polished it from there.

OKLAHOMAN

Mike, I almost missed this but glad I finally saw it and you did such a good job (although you needed the Mrs. help) that I've changed my mind on which kit to use and the final is now a must. Yes I'm a copy cat:biggrin:.

IPD_Mr

Mike, I almost missed this but glad I finally saw it and you did such a good job (although you needed the Mrs. help) that I've changed my mind on which kit to use and the final is now a must. Yes I'm a copy cat:biggrin:.

That is a great honor in my book. :)

Top Bottom