Cloudy with a chance of rain.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Katsin

Katsin

Exotic Blanks Storm Cloud on Black Titanium Jr. Gent II.

This pen proved pretty frustrating. I got some "fish scale" pattern in the resin which I figure was caused by something I did wrong. Maybe not letting the glue dry long enough? Does anyone know what I mean by "fish scale"? I don't know what is causing it but it is frustrating. My second pen to do this.

I also put one of the trim pieces on backwards but was happy to discover that barrel trimming sleeves make great tools to take apart a pen in a pinch.

To cap it off, I scratched to top of the cap a bit when pressing the final piece in. Makes me want to invest in a pen vise rather than the bench vise I've been using.

pen24a.jpg

pen24b.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
If you are talking about the little points in your pen (which looks great by the way) it may be air bubbles that have traveled or been trapped but you did not turn them. Or it may be mica that did not get mixed into the resin good enough and left trails. From what I see on the pen though, it adds character and not a mistake or something went wrong.

Dan_F

Well, it looks pretty good from here! Not sure what you mean by "fish scale".

Is the blank translucent, so that you can see any roughness caused by drilling? Did you paint the inside of the tubes?

Dan

Len Shreck

I just looked for that blank may I ask where you got it because I didnt see it but only looked quickly. I think the pen looks great the way it is. Len

Top Bottom