Closed-ends Cuban Mahogany

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

I learn something new each time. Always something to improve upon. Having a ton of fun! Enjoy and I welcome your comments and constructive criticisms.

Martin

Attachments

• Cuban-closed01.jpg
    Cuban-closed01.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 272
  • Cuban-closed02.jpg
    Cuban-closed02.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 208
  • Cuban-closed03.jpg
    Cuban-closed03.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Great looking pen. My thoughts exactly. It looks like a cigar. I'll be looking for your lit version.. Nicely Done..

MartinPens

I finished the cap in one piece on the CE mandrel as far as applying the CA glue, but not sanding. I took the measurement of the inside tube and marked it on the wood with the tip of a skew. ( I made two clean line cuts to equal the width of my parting kerf tool - 1/16 ) Just barely deep enough to cut through the CA finish but not so deep that I separated the pieces. I then sanded the CA and polished the piece. Then, very carefully, I separated the end cap piece - catching it in my hand so as to not damage it. I then put a piece of 320 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and lightly flat sand the cut edges of both pieces in a circular motion.

I then insert the piece in the end that normally comes with the kit (the piece the kit cap threads onto) and place the clip on the end. I mark the width of the clip on the rim of the cap and cut a little slot in both pieces with an exacto knife just deep enough for where the cap comes out. Then it's just all CA fitting from there.

I could do a little tutorial with photos if there is interest.

Martin

PaulSF

There is interest!! Please do that tutorial when you have time. It sounds way above my pay grade, but sometimes the step-by-step with pics makes it much easier.

David Keller

That's a beautiful pen. One of my favorites that I've seen since joining the forum.

I'd love to see your way for making the cap end.

JohnU

Great job Martin! I like the way you positioned the wood so each end highlighted the heart and sap contrast. I like your choice of both ends closed with the hidden clip. Over All.... A+ Nice pen!

Top Bottom