Closed Ends Bronze (Copper?) Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaspar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
EXCELLENT job!!!!

Thanks for the plug, and I will take full credit, whenever justified.

But the Polyresins on www.exoticblanks.com are all made by the PR_Princess.

Her eye for color is gifted, I, on the other hand, dress in black to avoid mismatches.:befuddled::befuddled::befuddled:

Kaspar

Noted: PR Princess, you do good work. The problem I have always had with so many of those kinds of blanks is that the pattern doesn't go all the way around. Instead it falls into layers, which is okay, but not exceptional. I'm easy to please. I just want the best.

izaks

The WOW factor of this pen made me step out of the shadows and post for the first time...

I started woodturning a year ago and just recently "discovered" pens. Really like your pen - great work!

I hope that it's not rude to ask, but would you mind sharing the pen kit you used? What do you use to hold the blank from just one end?

Thanks, Izak.

Kaspar

Thanks all, for the comments.

The WOW factor of this pen made me step out of the shadows and post for the first time...

The material is, indeed, exceptional.

I started woodturning a year ago and just recently "discovered" pens. Really like your pen - great work!
Thanks!

I hope that it's not rude to ask...

I think most folks here are prepared to share a good deal of what they do and how they do it ... up to a point.

... but would you mind sharing the pen kit you used? What do you use to hold the blank from just one end?

I used the tubes, nib, nib coupler and trim ring, plastic centerband threading, and spring from a (CS-USA) Gentlemans Junior II. Other than the threading I used nothing from the centerband. This leaves a small gap between the end of the threading piece and the tube, which I filled with CA glue. So far it's holding its position beautifully. I made this one in preparation for making something similar for a customer, and I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing.

To hold the pieces for turning, you need a pair of closed end mandrels, one for each end (pen and cap.) I believe some folks come up with their own, and there are a few types available from sellers. I used these.

You'll also need a drill chuck, or a three or four jaw chuck, to mount the mandrels in the headstock. You'll use the live center in the tail stock to pin the back end until you turn it to the shape you want, and then part it at the length you want with a parting tool. At that point, the work piece will be "standing free", and you can sand and polish it.

Last edited:

izaks

Thank you for the explanation. Found few tutorials and although this seems to be outside of my capabilities, I will try it.

Judging by the way your "test piece" turned out, I'm sure that your customer will appreciate his pen.

Thanks for sharing,
Izak.

Top Bottom