Closed Ended Segmented Cocobolo with custom finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jtate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

So I'm really proud of this one. It's got a couple of flaws but I really like it.

I got this plank of cocobolo from the scrap box at Woodcraft. It was about 10 inches by 4 inches by 1 inch. I made blocks like the one in this picture. I pieced together scraps to finish out the blank for the barrel so I could do the closed end part. I had bent the part that's meant for the finial on the cap so I had to do something for that. I ground off most of the metal from the finial, leaving just the threaded part which I glued into another little scrap. I turned that and completed the cap. The finishing was really difficult - that cocobolo thing! But finally I got it to take a CA finish. MM that and then polish with Turtle Wax and Voila! All done.

Comments, suggestions are welcomed.

Julia

DSCN0627.jpg

DSCN0663.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

And you should be proud. Very nicely done and probably only you can see the flaws. My only suggestion for it, since you went to the trouble of making it closed on one end and making a really nice finial, would be to get rid of the plastic CB. It's easy to turn it down and bury the remainder under some nice contrasting wood. But, it is still a lovely pen no matter what.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Looks beautiful Julia. The design and colouring give it a classic look. I love it[:D]
The finish and the pics are excellent too. Very well done.[:D]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Looks like $125 to me.

The price will depend on where you are selling it. Always remember that you can always lower the price later, but never raise it.

csb333

That is an excellent rich looking pen. Have you ever done the cap in closed end and cut it for the finial? I am faced with that now. I have a double closed end pen made but I have not decided what to do about the clip, and am scared to cut it. - Chris

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful, Julia!

I really like the contrast in the segmenting. Gives it way more than a "touch of class."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom