Closed ended and postable

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Had some time to play around today so made this closed ended postable pen using parts from my kit bits bin. I did get a little chipping on the threads though. I think the material is alternate horn and it was pretty brittle. I think it needs some gold trim between the body and the threads, but then it didn't need to be closed ended. This is about the same size as a Jr but a bit fatter. :biggrin:
Comments or critiques welcomed

Attachments

• CEPostable1.jpg
    CEPostable1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 389
  • CLPostable2.jpg
    CLPostable2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 306
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dustmaker

Skippy does it again! That is some nice work. I dunno if this has been done before, but it is the first that I have seen it. Nice going.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful work Steven ! I agree , it would be nice to have some gold between the threads and the body , but very nice as is .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well Steven,

I learned a couple of things from this pen.

First, you confirmed my belief that you are a master at engineering "pen solutions". The alternative briar looks very good and probably is durable. The threads look great and should last.

Now, what I learned. They make the back end of the pen from a contrasting material, cause it looks unbalanced when it is uniform. Your pen looks GREAT when open, but it looks out of proportion when closed. Too much briar in the pen body, not enough length in the cap.

And, the transitions LOOK uncomfortable. The cap fits beautifully and needs the square shoulder to mate with the centerband--great engineering.

So, congratulations on achieving your goal!!!
Next one, think about laminating black cast acrylic on the back end and making the cap a little longer, above the centerband.

ALLLLLL of this is opinion and can be ignored at will!!!!

ldb2000

I'm gonna buck the trend and say , "It don't do anything for me" . The transitions are too big between the threads and the body of the pen and the postable end is very awkward looking . You did a great job of the overall turning and that blank looks great .
I have yet to find a good way to make a postable closed end pen and have only done one postable kitless pen that I liked .
Sorry Skippy , but your still my Hero :biggrin:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I don't know why, but I think your right about needing a bit of gold between the body and the threads. It seems like it would appear more "balanced."

It does, though, look quite remarkable! I really like the design and colors.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, thanks for all the honest opinions:biggrin: This really was just to see if I could do it and although it worked 'technically', it did turn out butt ugly. :rolleyes:
No metal lathe needed here though. I used a hand tap and die for the threads.
Cheers

Top Bottom