Closed ended Jr Gent from a new cast.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BSea

BSea

Here's my latest cast. It's kinda hard to describe. It looks like it has some bronze in there, but it doesn't, it's more of a deep burgundy. I was going for a picture I saw of a black rose. It doesn't look all that much like the picture, but I'm pretty happy with the results. The 2nd picture is closer to the actual color. But when the light hits it, it looks more like the 1st.

I was really sweating out turning the barrel. I barely had enough blank for a closed end. The finial was from a piece I had left over from the cast. I got lucky to have so much color i9n the finial. That's always hit or miss.

CC welcome.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Black Rose 3 small.jpg
    Black Rose 3 small.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 473
  • Black Rose 2 small.jpg
    Black Rose 2 small.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Oh my, I'll just let you know when I get those over here....you might want to reduce the 'count' by one, maybe two. The wife really likes this one and I was told about it during y'alls blank drop!

Closed end 'end' is really well shaped....it's a winner!

Scott (I got to hold the sign) B

BSea

Thanks for the comments guys. As Scott knows, I rarely ever do a capped pen without a custom finial. But I have never had to work so hard to remove a finial before. I had to drill it out. If I'd have known it was going to be so tough, I'd have just left in the stock finial. It would look good with the blank anyway.

Since it's a girls pen, I made it about as narrow as I could with a slight taper on the end of the lower barrel.

SDB777

Thanks for the comments guys. As Scott knows, I rarely ever do a capped pen without a custom finial. But I have never had to work so hard to remove a finial before. I had to drill it out. If I'd have known it was going to be so tough, I'd have just left in the stock finial. It would look good with the blank anyway.

Since it's a girls pen, I made it about as narrow as I could with a slight taper on the end of the lower barrel.

And you wonder why I don't do more finial replacements.....seems everyone I get ahold of is beyond difficult to remove!

Scott (I see great swirlies) B

Dustygoose

Lovs the closed end, Bob. I started to replace finials too. Do you paint under the finials?
I'm glad my daughter doesn't look here, purple is her favorite. (She has2 rollers now)

BSea

Lovs the closed end, Bob. I started to replace finials too. Do you paint under the finials?
I'm glad my daughter doesn't look here, purple is her favorite. (She has2 rollers now)
Hey Joe,

It depends on the finials. But as a rule, yes. But I didn't under this one. The good thing about the finials is that you can test fit them, and decide if you need to paint or not.

Top Bottom