A Closed end - - - Stylus-pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CSue

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
tn_White_Pine_Closed_end_NoMar.jpg

I'm really jazzed about this! I've been admiring so many others and their closed end pens. So I jerry-rigged seomthing last night and made this. It was so much fun I made a few more today. So, what ya all think? (Stylus point/nib is patent pending.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

What do I think? I think they're very nice. Very much like the hundred or so I made and sold ten years ago.

What about this device do you think is patentable?

txbob

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Cathy, that is very interesting! I don't know how the pen works, but I like your idea and execution.

BTW, Steve, I don't think Cathy is a boy named Sue. [:D][;)]

ahoiberg

nice job, that's an interesting looking wood.
txbob, i think Csue uses them for electronic devices (PDA's, electronic notebooks, etc...) it's not just a modified nib for a refill but some special material that won't damage the device.

txbob

Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />nice job, that's an interesting looking wood.
txbob, i think Csue uses them for electronic devices (PDA's, electronic notebooks, etc...) it's not just a modified nib for a refill but some special material that won't damage the device.

Andrew, yes, I understand that clearly. As I said, I've made and sold a lot of them. The "special material" she uses is wood. Her web site explains it well.

What I would like to know is what could possibly be patentable about her device?

txbob

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I didn't really post this here to get into a discussion about the stylus part as much as the closed-end part. I'm sorry if I got your dander up.

The idea of using "wood" isn't quite accurate. I'm well aware of the many varied and different materials and designs used in an effort to make a stylus that will not damage the screens of PDAs and the like. Some clever person patented the process of using Lignum Vit??? wood for the tip of a stylus. I only use Softwoods for the stylus tip. And I only use a certain something in the finish of the tip.

If I ever make a buck off it, or get it patented, then we can talk more.

So, I guess making a closed end thing isn't as much of a big deal as I thought it was.

I still think it's cool. And thank you all for your comments.

txbob

Hi Cathy,
You didn't get my dander up, you got my curosity up. Knowing what maintenance costs run for patents, I wondered how you could sell enough to justify the costs.

For a stylus tip, I always bought Palm Pilot replacements and cut them off. Did a closed end like yours, glued in the tip. They're lots of fun, and I sold a bunch of them at work. Black and silver Dymondwood seemed to sell the best.

I also looked at the ones on your web site. Nice work! You have a good eye for shape and balance.

txbob

Originally posted by CSue
<br />I didn't really post this here to get into a discussion about the stylus part as much as the closed-end part. I'm sorry if I got your dander up.

The idea of using "wood" isn't quite accurate. I'm well aware of the many varied and different materials and designs used in an effort to make a stylus that will not damage the screens of PDAs and the like. Some clever person patented the process of using Lignum Vit??? wood for the tip of a stylus. I only use Softwoods for the stylus tip. And I only use a certain something in the finish of the tip.

If I ever make a buck off it, or get it patented, then we can talk more.

So, I guess making a closed end thing isn't as much of a big deal as I thought it was.

I still think it's cool. And thank you all for your comments.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by CSue
<br />Ilike. Some clever person patented the process of using Lignum Vit??? wood for the tip of a stylus. I only use Softwoods for the stylus tip.

This stylus thing really peaked my curiousity as well. Very nice website that you have going for you Cathy. I didn't know that one could patent the use of a wood(very hardwood I may add) like lignum vitae? Just wondering if the wood's ability to act as a self lubricant works well at NOT scratching the glass surface of PDA's? I know that you like to use soft woods for your stylus tips.

-Peter-

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Bob.

And thank you for all your comments.

ahoiberg, I used a standard mandrel. I shoved it through 1/4" Beall collet chuck to the length I needed. The blank was drilled with 1/4" bit and put on. The only way I've been able to keep the blank from spinning is to insert a 7mm tube - but not all the way and not glued. Then I tape it to the mandrel and use the live center on the tail stock to keep it 'tight.'
tn_Blue_Corian_Closed_end_NoMa.jpg

I've even done Corian Stylus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom