Closed End Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from geoffholden

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Should have entered it into a contest here. Doesn't anyone pay attention here any more. There is a Bash party going on people.

By the way Welcome to the site and a very nice looking pen. It would have been a worthy entry.

Last edited:

geoffholden

I already entered the turning challenged contest with a different pen, and assumed that I couldn't enter twice. And judging by the skill of the other members, I didn't feel like it was worthy of slimline unlimited. Maybe that's because all I can see are the flaws not the successes.

Thanks for the compliment though. Hopefully by next bash, I'll have something really worthy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

magpens

That is a fantastic pen ... fellow Canuck !!!!! :):):wink: ... It's good to have you here on IAP !!!

It would have been most worthy for contest entry, as John said.

That is one of the best modifications to a slimline pen that I have seen, IMHO !

Last edited:

turn81

I already entered the turning challenged contest with a different pen, and assumed that I couldn't enter twice. And judging by the skill of the other members, I didn't feel like it was worthy of slimline unlimited. Maybe that's because all I can see are the flaws not the successes.

Thanks for the compliment though. Hopefully by next bash, I'll have something really worthy.

We all see the flaws in our own work. Great looking pen!!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

OZturner

Excellent Pen, Geoff,
Love the Closed End Modification, and the fact that you made your own Pin Chuck.
Could you please tell us what you did to attach the Clip?
Excellent Blank, Fit and Finish.
Great Work,
Brian.

geoffholden

Could you please tell us what you did to attach the Clip?

Sure thing, it'd be pretty hypocritical of me to say how useful this site was for info and then not share details.
While the upper barrel was still in the pin chuck on the lathe (but not turning) I used a Dremel knock-off with the smallest cutting head I have to make a recess. Then I trimmed most of the ring off of the clip and almost filled the recess with medium CA. I stuck the clip in the hole, gave it a shot of activator to secure it a little and then let the glue cure overnight. At first the clip was pretty flexible, but after the CA cured is pretty solid.
I think next time I try a recessed clip, I'll drill the blank deeper so that I can keep more of the ring on the clip and just reshape it to fit in a small hole. I'm not sure how well this one will hold up long-term.

Geoff Holden

geoffholden

To tackle such a challenge in less than a dozen turned... simply astounding! Well done.

That's the result of a couple of personality flaws or features (depends on your POV). I really enjoy a technical challenge, so I tend to jump on to complicated things before really mastering the basics. I'm also cheap, so slimline kits appeal to that part of me.

Top Bottom