Closed end Sedona with WTF Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

Unknown found wood, dyed orange and blue-green. It had a few voids when I got inside of it - if you look close you can see where I did some light green epoxy fill in a small place or two. Then pen has so much going on, it's not really an issue in the final pen. Tried WTF finish for the first time - nine coats applied with sponge, wait 1 minute between coats. Let dry overnight, then buff Tripoli, White Diamond, and Carnuba. Glossy, but not as much as CA. Absolutely wonderful to hold - kinda warm almost, noticeably better than CA to me. Until I hit that last buffing wheel I didn't think I was going to like it. Then after I got a chance to handle it during assembly, I really liked it.

The black "runs" and spots are natural - I assume insect and/or some sort of mold/fungus thing going on. It got baked and stabilized, so no worries about what might have gotten trapped inside :)

Attachments

• WTFSedona-8554.jpg
    WTFSedona-8554.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 200
  • WTFSedona-8555.jpg
    WTFSedona-8555.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 125
  • WTFSedona-8556.jpg
    WTFSedona-8556.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 148
  • WTFSedona-8557.jpg
    WTFSedona-8557.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 117
  • TreeToPenSedona.jpg
    TreeToPenSedona.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

corgicoupe

I really like this pen for a number of reasons. First, I'm primarily a woodworker. Second, I like the concept of a closed-end pen, and recently made one from a Kojent kit. Third, I just finished one in spalted maple from a tree we felled last year. Finally, I appreciate the presence of the insect holes; they remind me of Leonard Cohen's line: "There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in."

Top Bottom