Closed End Sedona Segemented Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

I spent around 8 hrs today making this pen. I had a few problems with segments becoming unglued but not broke that could not be fixed.
The main body is Honduran Rosewood Burl with the sgments being Paduk and Fiddle back Maple for the scallops. I have incorperated aluminum and brass segments cut from sheets. There are also some tubes, 2 of them are hollow copper and filled with blue mica and the other filled with yellow mica. The bigger one is hollow aluminum and has a brass rod inserted that fit perfectly. I thought it would look good to have the hole that the live center made filled with blue mica and it did turn out good.

Attachments

• IMG_5366.jpg
    IMG_5366.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_5370.jpg
    IMG_5370.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_5367.jpg
    IMG_5367.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_5364.jpg
    IMG_5364.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 289
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

...and the time you spent shows. Although I don't make segmented pens I can appreciate the time spent experimenting and perfecting the features of this pen, especially the scallops. Thanks for sharing and showing us this pen. You've made a very nice one.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I spent around 8 hrs today making this pen. .

wizard

Beautiful and Amazing !!! The detail and time put into the segmentation and accents was well worth it. Gorgeous Pen! Regards, Doc

SDB777

I spent around 8 hrs today making this pen. I had a few problems with segments becoming unglued but not broke that could not be fixed.
The main body is Honduran Rosewood Burl with the sgments being Paduk and Fiddle back Maple for the scallops. I have incorperated aluminum and brass segments cut from sheets. There are also some tubes, 2 of them are hollow copper and filled with blue mica and the other filled with yellow mica. The bigger one is hollow aluminum and has a brass rod inserted that fit perfectly. I thought it would look good to have the hole that the live center made filled with blue mica and it did turn out good.

Was wondering.....where did you have the 'problems'? I certainly can't spot them!! What kind of glue do you use to bond everything together with?

Like the color types you've chosen! Outstanding!!!!!

Scott (8hrs = determined) B

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I really love making this type of custom? pen as I have kinda gotten bored with drilling a hole through a piece of wood turning it and BAM you have a pen.
The only problems I had really were the few segments that came debonded while drilling (at low speed) and getting the danged holes to drill straight through.
Now I don't know if I should ask or not but I have been told by a few that my prices for my pens are to low. So would $200.00 be to low or to high for a pen like this? Note: truthfulness please.

broitblat

Beautiful looking pen and a great investment of your time. You've got a lot of things going on there, but they all work well together.

-Barry

broitblat

Now I don't know if I should ask or not but I have been told by a few that my prices for my pens are to low. So would $200.00 be to low or to high for a pen like this? Note: truthfulness please.

Personally, I think $200 is too low.

You said you have ~8 hours of work in the pen. $25/hour isn't bad, but not great for that kind of artistic endeavor. Besides the cost of your time, however, don't forget the costs of the kit, your materials, shop overhead, profit, etc. Plus, I'll bet that 8 hours doesn't include time spent thinking about/creating the design, acquiring the materials, experimenting, etc. and the additional time you'll have to invest to sell it.

-Barry

edavisj316

Great work. The segmenting work looks spot on and the finish is great. It is a little busy for my taste. But it looks great.

As far as your pricing, I looked at your site and I thought your prices were very low. I have started doing some segmenting, but nothing that detailed. I was just given $80 for this pen. I was not going task that much for it but that is what the customer wanted to give me for it. I would not feel bad at all for putting a $200 + price tag on your pen. However, I agree with what most people on here have said about pricing. A pen is worth what someone is willing to pay you for it.

Attachments

• pens 018.jpg
    pens 018.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 83
Top Bottom