Closed End Roller with Portals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

I had deemed this pen the portal pen because the center of the pen looks to me like portals on a ship. Anyhoo this was one from today pen making, It is a chrome Jr gent in chrome with sandwiched together Koa, Paduk,Purple Heart,Fiddleback Maple,aluminum and brass. Everything turned out good accept just some small slivers of the Koa can be seen out of an entire blanks. The portals are hollow copper from Ace Hardware with blue mica and the aluminum and brass are also from Ace.
There are also some scallops of 4 different woods. It has 10 coats of Ca sanded then through all the colored pads then heavy scratch remover then light scratch remover.
Feedback bad or good welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_5376.jpg
    IMG_5376.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_5378.jpg
    IMG_5378.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_5375.jpg
    IMG_5375.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_5379.jpg
    IMG_5379.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_5380.jpg
    IMG_5380.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 225
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

I always wondered what was used in the section where you are using the hollow copper. Thats a great idea! You did a fantastic job!

ossaguy

That's beautiful! I was wonderng how the wood doesn't get all darkened when sanding the aluminum?

Great job!

Steve

Thanks for all the kind comments.
I do not sand it, I carfully scrape the surface smooth with my most hated tool, the skew and do not sand at all. (on blanks containing metals.

wiset1

Well I think it looks amazing. You have some of the most unique looking pens on the forum and the work that goes into them is obvious. It truly inspires me to do more and think beyond the conventional material of the wooden blank. Thank you for that!

Awesome looking as always!

wizard

Brian, I echo Tim's comments above. Gorgeous Pen!!!...You are truly talented and you have some of the most intricate pens on the site. I wish I had the ability to segment like you. You serve as a source of inspiration to me to push the envelope. A tutorial would be something to think about.. OK..now...where did you put the Honduran Rosewood?:wink:
Regards, Doc

workinforwood

Looks amazing! My only dislike is the centerband..it's slightly distracting from all your beautiful work. You pop of the two rings and make the cap slightly longer and I think you will really like the results, makes it more streamlined instead of broken up...as it is it almost looks like two centerbands in play fighting one another.

Dana Fish

What a beauty! I sure hope that someday I will have skills to make something as nice as that. I love the layers and how color all go together and still shows clean and crisp lines.

Thanks for the comments everyone. The center piece was originally supposed to go on top but it looked top heave so I flipped it around and looked at it about 20 times and decided on the thread end of the cap. I my have to get some longer tubes and try a longer cap. But how much longer?

MartinPens

Very unique and eye catching!! This is one interesting pen. Very well done. I hope to be able to do segmenting like this in the future. Thanks for sharing it. Great photos - I especially like the last one.

Maritn

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Top Bottom