closed end panache

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

Bought a few penache kits and decided I'm not real keen on the suggested shape. So, I made the next one a closed end pen. I have a penache pen from antler(penache shape) on my desk and if it were wood I would part of the wood and make it closed end. I think the rest of my penache kits will end up as closed end penache pens. I like Ed Davidson's (YoYoSpin) take on the stand up desk pens much better. Comments welcome: good, bad, or indifferent. Enjoy
Wood is walnut and finish is CA.

20051110232022_CLOSED%20END%20PANACHE.jpg

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

Wow, a real "Cigar"pen - which end do you light??[:D]
I like it, kinda funny now everyone is making closed end pens, I think this one can be easily sold to a cigar lover (no idea how to aficinado).
The two metal parts look like a ring band.

its_virgil

Thanks Rudy. I did think about tryhing to find a real cigar band, glue it to the wood and CA over it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />Wow, a real "Cigar"pen - which end do you light??[:D]
I like it, kinda funny now everyone is making closed end pens, I think this one can be easily sold to a cigar lover (no idea how to aficinado).
The two metal parts look like a ring band.

Deere41h

Don....<b>I like it *** I like it *** </b>You beat me to it. I am working on a closed end Panache as we speak. Just finished making the two pin chucks for it. Cutting the material tonight and start turning tomorrow. How did you handle the spring? I have an idea but not sure if I like the thought of cutting off the tube.

Was it your idea to make it look like a cigar or did it just come out that way? I think we are going to see a real variety of shapes with this kit. Wonder if CSU would consider selling it without the end caps.

its_virgil

Serge,
Thanks for looking and I too like walnut...the color is nice. This blank came from a walnut plank, 1" x 5" x 8' that was given to me 3 yrs ago and the friend who gave it to me has had it for 10 yrs. He is a cabinet maker and made walnut cabinets for a customer in the mid 80's. He closed his shop and brought me 4 of these boards plus some 3" x 3" x 3' pieces. I'm saving the 3x3 pieces for candle sticks. As for the pin chuck, I don't have a metal lathe but a friend does and he has made me some pin chucks and I furnished the drill rod for them.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Darley
<br />Don I like it, love the USA walnut I got some and will have to try it, did you make your own pin chuck?

its_virgil

John,
Thanks. I am liking it too. I did not start out thinking of a cigar but as I was finishing the barrel the thought came to me and I rounded off the ends. It is surely plain which can be good or not. I think maybe it needs some sort of embellishment. Maybe a shape like the baron you tutored me on. BTW, there is a picture of the baron in my yahoo photo album next to the penache. The one I started at SWAT.

As for the spring. You know the 1/4 inch hole in the end of the blank that houses the mandrel end? I removed the spring from the end finial and inserted it into that hole and it works ok...be sure you measure accurately...like you do with the baron. If the measurements are correct (for refill length), it will all work. Looking forward to seeing your take on this new kit.
Do a good turn daily!
don
Originally posted by Deere41h
<br />Don....<b>I like it *** I like it *** </b>You beat me to it. I am working on a closed end Panache as we speak. Just finished making the two pin chucks for it. Cutting the material tonight and start turning tomorrow. How did you handle the spring? I have an idea but not sure if I like the thought of cutting off the tube.

Was it your idea to make it look like a cigar or did it just come out that way? I think we are going to see a real variety of shapes with this kit. Wonder if CSU would consider selling it without the end caps.

Daniel

I've seen several conversations over the years about how to get a pen to look like a cigar. this is the best I've seen so far. good job.

its_virgil

Anthony, Daniel, rtjw, and Jim:
Thanks for the comments. I obtained some cigar bands today so maybe more "cigar" looking pens to come yet. I remember different penturners trying to make pens look like cigars also. I really didn't start out with that idea, but while turning the barrel and putting the round end on it, the thought did come to me. "Will anyone comment on this pen looking like a cigar?", I thought. Well, guess you all have answered that question. Thanks for the kind words.

Anthony, I thought Macanudo and Portofino were the names of wines[:)]...shows how cosmopolitan I'm not. When will you have some pin chucks for sale. You can't just use you new toy for cutting threads.[:p]

Jim, pin chucks do make closed end pens much easier. But, they are possible without pin chucks...by just using your regular mandrel.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom