Closed End Padauk - Classic American

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jimbob91577

jimbob91577

My first attempt at a closed end pen. Did it using only my mandrel and tricky bushing arangements.

I screwed up the ratio of cap to lower barrel in both length and maximum diameter. I also didn't get the taper quite right on the cap end.

Took most of the day yesterday to figure out how to do it. This is actually a prototype for the pen that I'm supposed to make my grandma. She was complaining that the Pink Ivory Slimline pen I gave her about 3 years ago cracked...I told her I'd make her something nicer.

AsianStylePadukFountainPen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

You may want to read a couple of articles I've written on making closed end pens. They are available at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles if you are interested.

Nothing about the pen looks screwed up, but if you don't like the shape or proportions then I can't argue with that. Looks to me like you did just fine with the pen and even may have learned some things along the way. One was that you don't have to purchase expensive closed end pen mandrels to do these pens. They are quite easily doable with a standard pen mandrel and bushings.

Keep 'em coming and showing us what you're doing and what you are learning.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

My first attempt at a closed end pen. Did it using only my mandrel and tricky bushing arangements.

I screwed up the ratio of cap to lower barrel in both length and maximum diameter. I also didn't get the taper quite right on the cap end.

Took most of the day yesterday to figure out how to do it.

View attachment 12820

Top Bottom