Closed end Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davidrei

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidrei

I haven't posted a pen pic in ages, so here's my latest. Closed end Jr. gent made from some kind of rosewood (the board wasn't labeled when I got it, but it smelled quite dainty when cut), elk antler and cherry veneer in the cap. Finish is CA with TSW. The cap was originally going to be a celtic knot, but my alignment was off so I switched to this. Unfortunately this meant that the rosewood in the cap was from a different section of the board from the body, so the grain is horribly mismatched. For the elk antler segment, I purposely picked a fat piece to get all marrow, which I think matches the dark wood much better than the whiter part of the antler. The finish on the body is much better than shown in the pic, I'll blame poor photography and hope everyone believes me;). Lastly, I can't say I'm really fond of the new Jr. Gent nib style, much prefer the old version. Criticisms are welcomed and encouraged

20061213214856_closed%20end%20jr%20gent%201.jpg

20061213214918_closed%20end%20jr%20gent%202.jpg

20061213214941_closed%20end%20jr%20gent%203.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

You did fine, your deliberate use of the marrow is an interesting approach. Not everyone would do that but none of us is "everyone". As far as matching or mismatching grain from top to bottom, I personally believe that this is a much overated concept. Few, if any, people, other than us here, would even notice one way or the other. Lookin' good from here.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I givre it ten thumbs up.I too love working with antler.
At one time I thought if it wasn't pure white I had a bad piece.
Pure white may as well be corian.
This pen has a "friendly look"
I like that.

emackrell

Nice job! You've given me some ideas on how to salvage the lapis trustone blank that "lost its color." Thanks!!

cheers Eileen [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom