Closed-end inlay Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

My first inlay pen. I can't say it's my first attempt, there are "attempts" all over the shop! Today was fun, I spent all day in the shop thinking, measuring, making little jigs, turning, trashing and finally getting all the measurements, angles and depths to come together to suite me.

This is a closed end Jr Baron with a mesquite body and birch inlays with CA finish.

Constructive comments always welcome.

George

20075250269_baron-inlay-closed.jpg

200752502630_baron-inlay-open.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />The lamination on the cap is wonderful,
The shape of the pen body does nothing for me. JMO
Thanks for sharing your opinion. It got me to thinking, so I sat the last closed end pen I made last week (http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24505) beside this one and they look totally different.

The two pens are almost identical, dimension and shape wise, yet when viewed together, look light years apart. Looks like the material used plays an important part in the overall balance of the pen and the straight grain of the mesquite doesn't work well with this shape afterall.

I wonder if putting a few matching swirl inlays on the bottom would help break up the long straight grain?

George

PenWorks

George, I still think it is the shape. It still is hard to tell as photography does play tricks. I mean the pics posted above, the pen body looks different in each picture. I find if you are going to do a narrow taper at the end of the pen. The dimensions need to be less at the end than the front of the pen. So if your front messures .460 the end better be at least .430 The overall shape is a football, which for a pen to me is not appealing. Again JMO. Oh that wood on your other pen you made was fantastic, but still did not like the shape, but you are right about the grain, it does look different than this pen.

GaryMGg

George,
I learned something from Lou in the archived forum and looked at the pen under magnification with Gimp. It appears the upper barrel is proud at the CB on one side only, suggesting the potential of a slightly off mandrel.
In the FWIW dept., I liked your trial inlay with the three elements more.
As to the shape, how's it feel? Good balance? Comfortable to write with?

Gary

gerryr

Nice work on the "glue-up", that's my term for anything that uses glue.[:D] I agree with Anthony about the shape and I believe a large part of the problem is that the cap is thinner, or at least appears to be thinner, than the body. If you look at what the major manufacturers do, their caps are always fatter than the body. The first few closed end pens I did had some peculiar shapes, or at least they seem peculiar now when I look at photos from a year ago. Look through the photo albums and see what others have done, especially Anthony, he has a really good eye for that(probably comes from selling all those high end pens). John Solberg(deere41h) also has some beautiful closed end pens as well as Russ Fairfield. There are others also that I haven't mentioned. You can also look at the PMG gallery for more ideas.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
George,

I am not a real imaginative guy, NOR am I an arteeeeeest. I think your pen looks great.

<center><b>HOWEVER</b></center>

This THREAD is an EXCELLENT example of Critique at it's finest. Anthony takes a chance that you won't explode if he opines. YOU accept and continue his logic, others JOIN in.

MEN, and ladies (who seem to already know) -THIS IS WHAT Show Off Your Pen can look like if you ask for critique and
<center><b>accept it and try to learn from it</b></center>

Congratulations to all, especially George for HIS GREAT reaction to intended HELP.
[:)][:)]

edited for spilling

Texatdurango

Here's the deal...

This is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear and is the reason I stated "Constructive comments always welcome". If I can't learn from those who have trod down the same path before me, I have no business asking for their opinions, and I will never be offended by honest criticism.

Several issues are brought up and I appreciate everyone taking their time to stop and give me their thoughts.

I took another photo of the pen, straight on, lying on a flat surface instead of from an angle, lying on cushy material and I think it gives a much better idea as to the shape. I also included some measurements which will surprise you as well as show what Anthony said about photos playing tricks on you.

Although I still like the shape and will continue making it because it feels balanced and good in the hand to me, and hopefully whoever eventually end up with it. I'll keep all suggestions in mind and possibly make the lower end a little thinner to keep good symmetry. I think I’m just a little gun shy of getting too close to the brass at the lower end. I crushed my first closed end pen when I pressed the nib holder in because the wall was too thin just behind the brass.

Gary, I can’t feel much out-of-round difference where the blank meets the metal but you are right, there is some. I really don’t know what my problem is, I’ve tried several mandrels, even buying two more a few weeks ago, only to have them react the same as the rest.

I have some short tool rests on order for my larger lathe and when they arrive, I think I’ll try turning a few pens and see if the same thing happens.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

George

2007525172725_inlay%20dimensions.jpg
<br />

gerryr

OK, I'll let the cat out of the bag. Here's a great tip on making closed end pens. Measure the diameter of the convertor or RB refill, whichever it is you're making, and add 1/16". That is all the bigger the hole needs to be, except where the nib coupling goes in. I regularly only use a piece of tube about 3/8" long, so I drill for the tube about 7/16" deep and the rest of the depth I need is done with a smaller drill. On plastics, I getting away from even using a piece of tube. When making a closed end pen, there just isn't any reason to use a full length tube, unless the material is fragile and then you maybe shouldn't be making it closed anyway.

Nicely done George.

One thing I've learned is to use wood with a strong contrast, it helps to hide the glue lines.
Imagine if you will, how the pen will look with a walnut/maple/walnut or a ebony/maple/ebony inlay.
(maple and birch are about the same)

Rifleman1776

As we say in the sout, Ye dun gud. Mighty fine on the inlays. I do like the shape. I pretty much have given up on closed ends because most end up looking like dowel rods with clips and so do most posted by others, IMHO. Your shape is pleasing. (not YOU'RS, the pen [;)] )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom