Closed end Electra Dressed in a Rich Red Logwood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

This is my second Electra I have made and so far I think I like it. This one I made a closed end using Log Wood I had bought from Johnm several months ago. This wood has some great grain to it and has a deep red/orange color to it. The finish is the usual 10 coats or so CA sanded then sanded through all the pretty colored pads then finally polished.
Thanks for looking
IMG_6002.JPG
IMG_6004.JPG
IMG_6005.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Absolutely a gorgeous pen! You did a fantastic job on the finish, and the fit looks great. You did a great piece of wood proud.

Linda

turbowagon

Awesome pen! I like the look of the zen/electra/stretch with a closed end... and nice job on the finish -- that can be challenging on the closed-enders, especially the longer ones.

- Joe

ToddMR

That is one nice looking wood there. The closed end works well on that kit as well. The color on the wood is very nice and the finish looks great.

Thanks everyone. I think a closed end pen makes a pen look custom and richer. I don`t think anyone (though I don`t really know) mounts the cap on the tail after trying it a few times and finding out the weight is to much
Log wood is a nasty wood to work with but is one of the richest colored woods I have used.
I have tried to mimic the slight taper that the Electra has.

BSea

WOW, that logwood is beautiful. I've done 1 pen in logwood, and it is much more orange than that. I like the red color better. BTW, are your fingers purple?:biggrin:

The pen is not quite that rusty orange in color. It is more of a dark rust color and yes it will make your hands look like you have been messing with grapes all day and it does not want to come off.

SteveG

The pen looks great. I like the slight taper...it really adds to the overall style. For those who like the rich color of Log wood, this is one of those woods that darken rapidly when exposed to sun light. The color goes to a deeper red, and is very nice. I set the turned and sanded blank in direct sun. But be careful though; this has caused one blank to crack while sitting in the sun:frown:

Top Bottom