Closed End El Toro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LanceD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceD

Here's a closed end El Toro that I made this morning. It's a gold titanium plating done with Pipemaker's Black Rose lucite. I used the closed end mandrel from AS which enabled me to make the body just a little bit longer to allow room to use a converter pump. Any comments good or bad are always appreciated.

20061228191117_100_1094.jpg

20061228191155_100_1093.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey Lance,

Nice twist on the El Toro design! It does have a "heavy look". I like the pipe makers material as well, it looks nice in your hand and it's dark enough you don't have to paint tubes etc!

Can I ask a few questions, Which AS mandrel did you use (size)? How deep did you drill the blank for the fit, 2 7/8"?

Again a nice look for the El Toro, another pen I had not though of to try and do a closed end, well done and thanks for posting it.[:)]

woodpens

Beautiful choice of material and shape. It looks great!

It is the same as the Havana, and the bushings fit on the A mandrel.

its_virgil

Same kit as the Havana Jr. I never understood why the Havana aka El Presidente aka Robusto does not come as a fountain pen. To get the fountain pen the Havana Jr aka El Toro aka Robusto Jr has to be used. Before the closed end pens became popular the El Toro could be made longer by using a longer tube and the stock hardware.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Penmonkey
<br />Very pretty pen. You have a great finish on it. The fountain nib looks great on it. Is that the same kit as a Havana? I have not heard of it before.

its_virgil

Nice work on the pen Lance. The El Toro is a favorite fountain pen and I like them just a tad longer. I've used longer tubes but your closed end treatment is classy. Thanks for sharing.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by LanceD
<br />Here's a closed end El Toro that I made this morning. It's a gold titanium plating done with Pipemaker's Black Rose lucite. I used the closed end mandrel from AS which enabled me to make the body just a little bit longer to allow room to use a converter pump. Any comments good or bad are always appreciated.

LanceD

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />Hey Lance,

Nice twist on the El Toro design! It does have a "heavy look". I like the pipe makers material as well, it looks nice in your hand and it's dark enough you don't have to paint tubes etc!

Can I ask a few questions, Which AS mandrel did you use (size)? How deep did you drill the blank for the fit, 2 7/8"?

Again a nice look for the El Toro, another pen I had not though of to try and do a closed end, well done and thanks for posting it.[:)]

Thanks Jim
I drilled it at 3" and the mandrel came from AS.

http://arizonasilhouette.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1919

Firefyter-emt

Wow.. this is so odd. I was looking hard at this kit last night and thinking to myself that I need to post up to see if it had been done before! I think that by dropping the silly looking posting end and making it a bit longer that beautiful cap & nib set would really show up. What I wanted to do was make it long enough to take the ink pump as well.

Good job!

chigdon

I like it and like the size. I do think the main body of the pen needs to be longer though. There isn't enough difference between the length of the body and cap IMHO. That being said I really like the pen!

gerryr

Great looking pen, Lance. I like it.

If I remember correctly, the cap on these is quite a bit longer than necessary so the cap could be shortened to change the proportions.

LanceD

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Great looking pen, Lance. I like it.

If I remember correctly, the cap on these is quite a bit longer than necessary so the cap could be shortened to change the proportions.

Thanks Gerry, I'll take a look at it on my next one. I also want to try making a different colored center band. There's just a little too much metal there.

Firefyter-emt

No, I like the center band, but this would be a nice pen with a better final cap. It looks like left over cigar parts to me. Maybe something like the Euro's where you make your own.
That said, I really like the big solid CB, but I do think it would be a lot better if the pen itself was streched more. I think it will make that band look smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom