Closed end crazy antler pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

workinforwood

I had an odd number of 7mm antlers drilled and a thought came to me that I could use one of the tines that would otherwise be unsuitable for a pen of any size. I would have liked to not have a center band, but there is just too much curve and if I drill deeper I will drill through the antler. Then of course, while digging through the scraps of bones a piece with a fork in it brought another idea to mind...a way to hold the pen, since it won't have a clip. The pen is sanded and buffed out with carnuba. The stand is fiddleback flitch cut maple and the antlers on the stand are completely natural, no finish. I don't like to spray antlers as they yellow over time...why fix them anyhow when they aren't broken? It's actually a reasonably comfortable pen to write with, the bark inclusion in the nib end feels nice in the fingers and helps it want to stay on the stand without sliding off. I really like it...was surprised at the outcome. Cost me around $3 and took under an hour for the entire project.

And yes, I did turn the end of the antler with the curve as it whipped wildly around the lathe :D

20071026105831_antlerthumb1.jpg

20071026105931_antlerthumb2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

winpooh498

Wow, now that is an antler pen I like. I can see how the little inclusion on the end would be nice for holding on to. I don't think that the cb looks bad, it actually adds to the appearance very nicely IMHO. I like the stand also.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The stand is really a great addition.

I made a pen like this (with a simple wood stand) in 1998 - first show it sold. So, I thought I found a winner, immediately made a second one!!!

(which I held onto for FIVE years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I think YOUR stand would make it sell MUCH more quickly, but I already demonstrated how LITTLE I know about it!!!

workinforwood

It is the perfect size for eliminating that hard to reach ear wax [:D]

I don't know how to sell it exactly since I do all my sales person to person and can't exactly carry this with me everywhere I go. I sure don't want to hold on to it for 5 yrs. I'll probably wait till later in november and ebay it. Heck, it was only $3 or less in a kit, the antlers didn't cost me anything and the wood was a scrap that was in the burn box. I'm sure someone will bid over my $3 minimum.

Thanx for the wonderful comments. I was hoping to show an even better pen, but UPS seems to think I don't exist even though they've been here a hundred times. I paid the 2 day freight and it's been 3 days now. I have an awesome pen I made and no kit. I am out of kits, been just turning tubes in the shop, now I'm out of tubes too. [:(]

karlkuehn

Banned
Wow, that's interesting! When you're signing checks, you can also scratch your back at will! Not to mention you could go all 'Braveheart' and wipe out a bill collector or two! That'd make a salesman think twice about shystering you when signing a deal for a car loan. [:D]

Make a handy tool on a hijacked airliner, too. heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom