Closed-end craze.They simply look and sell better!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from redfishsc

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I have a pile of closed-end pens I have made recently, several of which never had a chance to see the camera since they went right into someone else's pocket and the check went to the bank.

Sorry about the dismal quality of the pics, but for now I make more money making pens than taking pics of them, lol. If I decide to set up a website I'll set up a pic booth, lol.

The next two are a Jr Gent II Fountain Pen using a blank that Jeff in Indiana cast for me a while back. I am glad I had him make a good number of them for me, I love this color (it was our wedding colors, my wife likes purple, I like green).

wildflower_jrgentfp2.jpg

wildflower_jrgentfp1.jpg

This is Ed Davidson's "Mother Earth" on a Jr Retro Fountain Pen.
motherearth_jrretro3.jpg

These next two are "lime sherbet" from Beartooth Woods. I think "Emerald Firefly" is a better name for this material, which is what I am calling the pen. I predict this to be the next fountain pen I sell as an impulse buy. Black Ti Sedona. mmmmmmmmmmmm!
limesherbet_bt_sedonafp2.jpg

limesherbet_bt_sedonafp3.jpg

The first El Grande FP I have ever done, and the nib leaks into the cap. ARRRG! Jerusalem Carob from Arizona Silhouette. Has a nice, buttery smooth satin conversion varnish finish.
elgrande_jerus_carob3.jpg

The first Churchill Fountain pen I have ever done. Bethelehem Olivewood finished in satin conversion varnish. Ti gold.
betholive_churchill2.jpg

And lastly, alternative ivory JR GentII FP in ti gold. I love this pic, it looks so antique to me.
altivory_tigoldJrgent1.jpg

Which is your favorite? Honestly I have to say either the first one from Jeff's resin, or the Emerald Firefly. I dunno. You pick.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Very nice! Did you color the Alt. Ivory at all? --- Because mine always come out extremely white, much like Holly. I'm going to have to try staining some w/tea, as a few people have suggested. If I want white, I can use a good piece of holly. What I want is something that looks like Ivory --- like your pen does! Good job.

every one of your pens are a work of art....the finish, the shape of each....right on the money. but what I really what to know is how much do you want for that burl cap your using for a prop. real real nice. [:D]

Laurie

redfishsc

Originally posted by LostintheWoods
<br />Very nice! Did you color the Alt. Ivory at all? --- Because mine always come out extremely white, much like Holly. I'm going to have to try staining some w/tea, as a few people have suggested. If I want white, I can use a good piece of holly. What I want is something that looks like Ivory --- like your pen does! Good job.

Lol, the alt ivory color is due to lighting and background color (the malee burl).

I wish I had heard of good results in staining the ivory, but I asked about it a while back, and the tea thing didn't work. The best idea I think was to let wdcav sit on it[}:)], but then again I couldn't sell that pen for ethical reasons[xx(].

redfishsc

Originally posted by laurie sullivan
<br />every one of your pens are a work of art....the finish, the shape of each....right on the money. but what I really what to know is how much do you want for that burl cap your using for a prop. real real nice. [:D]

Laurie

Lol, I paid $50 for that burl cap at the Klingspor shop here in Raleigh. I just could not pass that up, it was the perfect pen backdrop. I'm just not sure I could part with it....[:(]

txbatons

All the pens are very nice. For shape and kit match I gotta go with the Lime Sherbet. I have that blank sitting on my workbench and haven't turned it yet and haven't seen it here. I'll give you a guess as to what I'll be doing this weekend! [:D]

As for clean lines and elegance, I'd have to choose the El Grande FP.

Nice work on all. I haven't done closed-end pens yet, but am comfortable doing closed-end work because of the conducting batons I make.

The closed-ends just have a cleaner look to me because of the emphasis on the wood (or acrylic) instead of the plastic and metal.

redfishsc

Thanks for all the comments, guys!

Potter, I am with you on the smaller-end. If you look at Anthony Turchetta's work, most of the closed-end pens he makes has a smaller end. I must say that noticing that about his work instigated me to do a few like fashion (a few that aren't posted here). I just liked the look and style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom