Closed end Cholla FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Donovan's Corner

I was able to turn it down to shape and sand it without tear out or blowout. The body of the pen is finished. I am contemplating an ebony cap since the Cholla for the cap will not match. I'm gonna sleep on it.

I really like my first closed end pen and the process is fun. I see why so many members enjoy it.

Attachments

• CIMG4202.jpg
    CIMG4202.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 120
  • CIMG4203.jpg
    CIMG4203.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 99
  • CIMG4204.jpg
    CIMG4204.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 97

SDB777

Wondering why the cap won't fit?

Good looking blank, guess it wasn't that easy to turn either....did you need to apply thin CA to keep it together?

Scott (got some extra parts now) B

Wondering why the cap won't fit?

Good looking blank, guess it wasn't that easy to turn either....did you need to apply thin CA to keep it together?

Scott (got some extra parts now) B

The piece of Cholla I used for the pen body was a little rotten and has some staining in the grain. All of the pieces I have for the cap are the golden color without stains. I am also thinking of moving away from the ebony idea. The finish on the ebony wouldn't match the gloss of the CA.

All of this has left me with one conclusion. I need to go collect more cholla so the next one has all matching wood.

I do have extra parts... I made a wood plug to hold the spring in the base so that I can use this pen as a RB or FP. I wanted to avoid the extra weight and could cut a more attractive taper without the metal parts on the inside.

Last edited:
Top Bottom