Closed End Buckeye Burl Chrome Roller no center

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

Several have done pens that they thread themselves but I do not have the threading taps to do this. So I took the threaded section for the cap and sanded off the lip that usually butts into the wood or resin and pressed it in. I took the nib end with the trim ring and countersunk it just the thickness of the trim ring. I really like some of the kit-less? pens that are just straight through with a slightly rounded tail edge so this is what I was going for with this pen.

Attachments

• IMG_5431.jpg
    IMG_5431.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_5432.jpg
    IMG_5432.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_5433.jpg
    IMG_5433.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_5429.jpg
    IMG_5429.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 156
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave Turner

I really like what you've accomplished. I'm generally not a big fan of "kitless" pens as I think they often look rather plain. You have just enough metal trim to compliment the really nice burl wood. It results in a pen that begs you to pick it up and unscrew it. Great job. Someday I'll be talented enough to give it a try.

wizard

Brian, I really like it!!!!. I wanted to ask a few questions. How did you countersink the trim ring? Did you underturn the end of cap and barrel facing the center of the pen to add thickness to the center area of the pen?
What pen kit is that? Thanks so much for showing and sharing! Doc

I drilled a shallow 1/2" inset for the trim ring to fit into and flush. The cap I sanded away the first lip and took off the black ring and the other chrome ring. after sanding there is still chrome showing. When ready you just press those cap threads flush with the brass tube. The hole for the inset trim ring rally needs to be smaller, but I aint got metric bits:rolleyes:
Hope it helps some.
Kit is Apprentice chrome Jr Gent.
Sorry about the crappy pics.
Note: on these cheaper kits I find the chrome to be pretty good. I have had to sand off some of the paint where it gets pressed into the brass tube for fear and of it cracking the CA on a pen or three.
In my short experience with the gold I would have to say STAY AWAY. If you look at it it will scratch.

Attachments

• IMG_5435.jpg
    IMG_5435.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_5436.jpg
    IMG_5436.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

S.A.Mappin

Beautiful pen, thanks fo showing.

I too have wanted to try one similar to what you have done, but wasn't sure how I wanted to approach this. Now I think I do!! Thank you!!

SteveG

I have just done something very similar to you what did to eliminate the CB on a Jr Gent using deer antler. I wanted to post it, but at present am not computer capable to do so. It is a great look and gets much attention on my table. Your pen looks great. Nice!

wizard

Brian, Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to share your technique. Ingenious! Again, its a gorgeous pen and it looks really classy sans the centerband. Now I just have to get the courage to try one :). Regards, Doc

Top Bottom